Will you no longer eat at this restaurant?
I don't usually eat fast food - but I don't think I want to support this type of restaurant.
What do you think?

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News

The president of Chick-fil-A, the fast food chain with more than 1,600 restaurants and $4 billion in revenue, has come out against same-sex marriage.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Dan Cathy, the company's president and chief operating officer, said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

In an interview with the Baptist Press published this week, Cathy doubled down on his stance against same-sex unions.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy said. "We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The company, founded by Dan's father, Truett Cathy, in 1946, has a history of "unapologetic social conservatism," as the Daily Caller put it. All 1,608 of its stores are closed on Sundays, a day of rest for most Christians.

According to Queerty.com, the WinShape Foundation—Chick-fil-A's charitable arm—donated more than $1.1 million between 2003 and 2008 to anti-LGBT groups, doubling that amount to $2 million in 2009.

Earlier this year, students at Northeastern University protested a proposal to put a Chick-fil-A on its Boston campus because of the company's history of supporting anti-gay organizations. The school abandoned its plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-gay-marriage-20110812...

Views: 2165

Replies to This Discussion

I like this one, too. The more, the better!

Oh wow! Loren that's great!

webpage for boycot chick-fil-a

EXCELLENT, SB!  Thanks for posting that!

Thanks SB. The only thing about that site that raised my eyebrow was the phrase, "How can something so good be so evil?" As I stated earlier, I have never eaten there in my life, so I have no personal knowledge of the quality or "tastiness" of their food. But, I've got to wonder about any  food franchise that uses pre-processed additives to make sure that you can't tell the difference in flavor from a meal served in Virginia Beach,VA, or Amarillo, TX. By the way, the photos of the cows, and the billboard, are great.

Thank you Sentient! I will go to that webpage to boycott!

S.B. Thanks!

Ahh nice thanks SB!

There's also this petition circulating, I just received it today:

Left Action Tell Chick-fil-A "Cluck Off"

Thankfully I don't eat fast food at all unless I really have to and then it is usually subway. I never thought we would see a day where we base our dinner choices on what the owner of the restaurant thinks about life. Like now, I would never eat at burger king because I don't want to give mormons any of my money.

This family values shit is getting way out of hand and I don't mind boycotting these ignoramuses one little bit. But the thing is, America loves their shit food and will still continue to buy it regardless of what anybody thinks.

Funny thing is, chick fil a just opened a store in San Antonio this week and people actually camped out for 2 days prior to the opening as the first 100 customers receive coupons for freebies. Camped out like it was the last Bruce Springsteen concert ever for probably $10 worth of coronary heart disease.

Fricken crazy world.

Hey Sandi! Yeah Subway is good - I don't usually eat fast food either. Yeah and unfortunately Americans will continue to eat it anyway. Maybe we can educate the more intelligent ones. When they opened a new store they had tents outside and people were camped outside waiting to get coupons to eat there for a year free. It's a crazy world indeed.

Sandi it also disturbs me that if people 'like' the product and it's convenient, they don't seem to give a damn who it hurts when they buy it. People tend to think like that until something affects them directly, the trick is to figure out how to impact them on that personal level with the harm these things do..  it would be a greatest trick ever if we could figure that one out eh?

I often wonder if I didn't have so many loved ones and friends who are gay, if I'd feel as strongly about it as I do, I hope so, I like to think I'm a better person than that!

@SB - I've shared the boycott URL via email, I'll probably post it to Diaspora as well.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service