Austin TX Veterans' Day Parade

Veterans Day Parade

Veterans' Day is an annual American holiday honoring military veterans'. Both a federal holiday and a state holiday in all states, it is usually observed on November 11. However, if it occurs on a Sunday then the following Monday is designated for holiday leave, and if it occurs Saturday then either Saturday or Friday may be so designated.[1] It is also celebrated as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in other parts of the world, falling on November 11, the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)

http://www.nov11.org/

What did you do for veterans day?

How did your town celebrate?

Views: 109

Replies to This Discussion

Veterans Day events in Central Texas

Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011

Austin Veterans Day parade. 9 a.m. today. Starts at the Ann Richards Congress Avenue Bridge and travels up to the Capitol, where a ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. www.nov11.org.

‘Every Veteran Has a Story to Tell.' 9 a.m. today. Opening day of a yearlong display of an interactive multimedia exhibit of 12 short videos of veterans recounting their stories, along with personal memorabilia. Texas Capitol Visitors Center, 112 E. 11th St. www.glo.texas.gov/voices-of-veterans/exhibit.html.

Veterans Day observance.10:30 a.m. today. Speaker, music and recognition of veterans. Harris Bell Hall at Westminster Manor, 4100 Jackson Ave.

Austin Fishing Fest. 10:30 a.m. today. Fishing, veterans recognition, catfish lunch. Gracy Woods I Nursing Center Courtyard, 12021 Metric Blvd. http://zvents.com/e/FAcfU/7o.

Veterans Day observance. 11 a.m. today. Speakers, music, book signings and a rifle salute. National Museum of the Pacific War, 340 E. Main St., Fredericksburg. www.pacific
warmuseum.org.

Veterans Day observance. 11:30 a.m. today. U.S. Army Maj. David Tolleson speaks, and the Highland Lakes Men Chorus will perform. Rotary Veterans Memorial in Johnson Park, Marble Falls.

Bastrop Veterans Day Car & Motorcycle Show Weekend. Dusk today: Drive-in movie at Fisherman's Park. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday: Car show, music, veterans tributes and other activities in downtown Bastrop. 9 a.m. to noon Sunday: Brunch at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort. www.bastropdba.org/vets.

‘Honoring the Service.' 7 p.m. today. Austin Community College students who are veterans and 2011 Texas poet laureate David M. Parsons will read their work. Riverside Campus, 1020 Grove Blvd., Building G, Room 8100. www.austincc.edu/newsroom.

San Marcos Veterans Day events. 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Community breakfast on the Hays County Courthouse lawn. At 9 a.m., the San Marcos Kiwanis Club will provide materials for children ages 5 and older to decorate their bicycles for the parade. Parade begins at 10 a.m. at Hopkins Street and Riverside Drive, continuing on Hopkins to Guadalupe Street and along Hutchison Street to C.M. Allen Parkway. www.sanmarcostx.gov.

Cedar Park Veterans Memorial monument dedication. 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Veterans Memorial Park, 2525 New Hope Drive. www.cedarparktx.us.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/veterans-day-events-in-central-...

The Voices of Veterans Exhibit
“Every Veteran Has A Story To Tell”
November 11, 2011 – September 2012

The VLB Voices of VeteransTM program was created to capture oral histories of Texas veterans from all eras of combat, World War II to Afghanistan.  Free to any Texas veteran, the Voices of Veterans program provides a lasting legacy for historians, friends and family members, and helps us honor and remember the sacrifices of all Texas veterans.

The mission of the Voices of VeteransTM program is to remind future Texans that ordinary men and women, when faced with overwhelming adversity, can accomplish extraordinary things.

Beginning Veteran’s Day, November 11th, 2011 (11.11.11) , the Voices of VeteransTM oral history program be highlighted in a new yearlong multimedia exhibit at the Capitol Visitor’s Center in the historic Old Land Office on the Capitol grounds.

Entitled “Every Veteran Has A Story To Tell,” the exhibit will feature a short video on the program, multimedia iPad kiosks with actual selections from the veterans’ interviews from the program, as well as personal memorabilia.  The exhibit runs through September 2012.

The "Every Veteran has a Story to Tell" exhibit was made possible by the State Preservation Board and the Texas Capitol Visitor Center.

http://www.glo.texas.gov/voices-of-veterans/exhibit.html

I tried (and failed) to complete a load of laundry, did some emailing in between, and then, after dark, got to pick up my box from the local food bank, a Christian mission.  Since coming out as an atheist (to myself and then to them and others), they ever more diligently (yet gently as they can) push me to pray with them and I become ever more outspoken (also as gently as I can) about it being a waste of time and effort, because there is no god.  I am disabled, and a veteran, and the only reason I'm not active duty military is because I was targeted by my hospital commander, whose religion test I obviously failed.  I wasn't his only target, either.  Please, pardon the tone of frustration.  I am proud that, at least, I uphold my oath to defend the Constitution and that I have tried and continue to try to serve my country, in whatever ways I can.

Thank you Doc for sharing your story. You are proof that there are Atheists in foxholes.

Thank you, Steph, for providing a place where I felt I could speak.

While I know this isn't the best way to celebrate... Me and my husband, both being vets, just hop around the places that sell free food with our dd214s and get free food. Its not the best way to celebrate but we are celebrating for ourselves mostly.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service