Introduce yourself and let everyone know who you are.

Tags: fox, hole, introductions, military

Views: 105

Replies to This Discussion

I'll keep my nom de plume of Jolly Sapper.

Active Army 2000-2004, enlisted as a 12B (Combat Engineer). Spent two years at Ft. Stewart in D Co. 10th Heavy Combat Engineer Battalion. Spent a little over a year in Bamberg, Germany with the C Co 54th's heavy Combat Engineers bounced around between a "line" platoon and "assault and obstacle" platoon. Got out of the desert in December of '03 with nothing more than a broken pinkie that I fixed myself, just in time to start ETS'ing.

Deployed to Kuwait for the invasion of Iraq in '03. Invaded with an armored cavalry troop, blew up captured munitions, attached to some civilian rocket techs to pull security and help EOD transport and destroy surface to air missiles, and was trained to operate and maintain an R/C version of the M-1 chassis.

SO in essence, nothing that is transferable to the civilian job market.

Currently a college drop out, minimum wage slave, and the primary physical labor for my wife's plan to start a business as a small scale farmer.
I'm a Chief Warrant Officer 4 in the US Army. I work as an intelligence technician. I'm currently serving the last month of my second one-year deployment to Afghanistan. I came in the Army in July 1989 when I was still 17. I started off as an E-1, made it to E-5, then was accepted into the warrant officer program. I've been an intel guy my whole career. I've served two tours in Korea (2ID and Camp Humphreys); one five-year tour in Heidelberg Germany; one tour at 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, NY; one tour at Fort Meade, MD (NSA), and I'm about to start on my third three-year tour to Fort Hood, TX. I like the Fort Hood area and I plan to retire after this next tour there.
Hi guys my name is Matt and I served honorably in the Marine Corps from March 2002 to March 2006. I was an 0811 Cannon Crewman stationed at Camp Lejeune,NC with 1st Battalion 10th Marines. I deployed to Iraq twice which was a real eye opener.
My name is Forrest. I served in the USAF as a computer systems programmer from 2003 to 2006, and in the Army as a forward observer from 2006 to 2009. OIF 07-08. I left as an E-5 (SGT). My tags say atheist.
Hi my name is Josh Mansfield. I'm currently DEP'd into the Marine Corps and waiting to be shipped off to boot camp. Been an atheist as long as I can remember but have only recently (6 years) been open about it.
Not quite sure which MOS I'll be choosing as i have a few interests. Maybe I can get some feedback from friendlies here?
Looking forward to serving next to other proud atheists. God Bless the US... haha just kidding ;]
Hi all. My name is Rich Clayton. I live in Cleveland, Tennessee (Home of the World Headquarters of the Church of God). I served aboard the USS Georgia (SSBN 729) from '92-'96. I'm currently an HVAC technician/electrician. Glad I found this group.
I am ex-Army, now work contracting, supporting all services. raised an Army brat, currently living on the Jersey Shore. No, not like them. i have been an Atheist since birth, though my family tried to indoctrinate me into the Catholic Church, my brothers succumbed to the virus. Not till about 10 years ago, have I even thought about my position. With the rise of the Religious Right and the expansion of the internet, I felt the need to connect with others on the issue. The anonymity of the net vocalized people, and brought them out in the open to reach out to like minded people. Seems they can't shut us up now.
Hi, I'm Pat. U.S Army from 1970-1973. MOS was 21G - programmer test station operator on the Pershing Missile System. The weapons system no longer exists, but can be found in the Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. Was deployed in (at that time) West Germany. Got out an E-4, and work as an attorney (thank you G.I. Bill) in Southern Illinois.
IaOrana Ia Oe! Hello to all, I am an atheist and have been from the very beginning. I am a retired US Navy Chief. Having served from 1954 through 1974. My first few years were miserable, but after becoming an electronics technician, I found that the better educated you were the less that your religion or lack therof mattered. I have always managed to get thru the re-enlsitment ceremony using my original Blue Jackets Manual, with a copy of the constitution and bill of rights tucked away inside. When I broke out my book, the CO's actually gave me a "Bravo Zulu", I never heard a word about I had to take the oath one a bible nor would I use the term "So Help Me God".. I retired out as an E-7 Chief, but I was one of the leading electronics technicians in the Navy at the time. After Retirement I became a CETA and right back to the Navy as a LCDR equivalent. I served as the CETA on 2 guided missle Destroyers and a LPH as civilian Ships Company...

My original dog tags were originally marked Prot as they would not let me be an atheist. After I had gotten enough horse power to where I could make my voice heard I had those tags changed to Atheist and never heard anything about it. Back in the mid 70's was the start of the Evangelisation of the Navy and I was told by several junior officers and their cadres that they would be in control in the very near future.. They were pretty well right on that, but I think that we still can get the church out of our military and the government if we work at it and never loose sight of the fact that we all are responsible for each other and each critter. We all come from exactly the same original creature or what ever. If there were a break in the evolution chain, none of us would be here....
Hey, my name is Tyler. I was a paratrooper with the 782nd MSB, 82nd Airborne Division with one tour in Iraq in '03. I had what I considered to be a nervous breakdown shortly after. I didn't finish my enlistment, but I'm glad I did my time, I love my country, and I feel indebted to every service member, etc....

I grew as a Christian while I was in the Army, but soon discovered it was all crap. Thankfully, I live in a country where I can renounce religion without being killed. However, it's still hard to admit to anyone I'm an Atheist. I find it easier to admit my bout with suicide than to admit my non-belief. Plus, I live in Kansas. Not exactly a hopping bed of apostasy. I'm sure I'd be chased out of town with pitchforks if it was too widely known.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who served who didn't get sucked into it all.
I am Amanda Lee Alexander , a pv2 in the army and still in AIT at FT Stewart Georgia (I'm a medical labratory technition so I'm one of the ten ait students on this base doing clinicals). I live off post with my husband and my cats and I am an athiest (been that way for about 8 years). I'm 20 years old without kids and was just looking for support being the only athiest I know of in my area.
I was at Fort Stewart for 9 years and just left in April. There are a whole lot of non believers in the area, if you actually decide to socialize outsides of Hinesville or Jesup. There are several meetups in the area as well. Check out the ones in Statesboro and some of the "Cthulhu" groups in Savannah. If you drive out towards Riceboro, you can check out the Christian Servicemen's Center (barracks). The barracks is the maroon log style building. IF you live in Liberty Woods you can ask about the family that had a very heathen holiday light display with Atom, Cthulhu and FSM. We're at Benning now and actually miss the efficency and customer service of everthing in and around Fort Stewart...really. It's that bad around here. and Columbus kinda sucks.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service