Add your favorite quotes here, or if you are just interested in reading what others post, select follow below.

Here are some of mine:

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.
- Thomas Jefferson

Liberty is to the collective body, what health is to every individual body. Without health no pleasure can be tasted by man; without liberty, no happiness can be enjoyed by society.
- Thomas Jefferson

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin

Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; and not for profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, the people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it.
- John Adams

The Grecians and Romans were strongly possessed of the spirit of liberty but not the principle, for at the time they were determined not to be slaves themselves, they employed their power to enslave the rest of mankind.
- Thomas Paine

Tags: USA, america, american history, democracy, quotes

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

Ben Franklin has some of the greatest quotes of all time. He was a very wise man, incredibly imaginative, and very productive. He created the first library, btw.
I'd say its vagueness makes it too easy to skew in any direction. Negative and positive liberties don't mix well. Ditto with civil and group rights. You have to choose where to set the cursor, and that means you'll have to compromise with the different kinds of liberties, or you'll never achieve a decent level of 'security' (social cohesion).

Still, it sounds good as a general principle. Especially in times of warfare, but then every side could use it to fuel their propaganda.
Btw, the Franklin quote reminds me of this one, by Sir Winston:

"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonor. They chose dishonor. They will have war."
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. .....Thomas Jefferson
Great quote, Carver.
I have a favorite quote related to atheism, but not to any of the founding fathers. Crap!

Oh well, here's one I like:

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?" Abe Lincolin

Though this is clearly not true in all situations - some people will pretend to be your friend just to stab you in the back - I like the word play.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." Abe Lincolin

Hah! There's nothing deep about this quote. I like it because it's funny and representative of Lincolin's personality. I'll be back with something you can ponder later. Maybe...
Gettysburg: 'Under God' Inserted Long After Speech Given

We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
-- Abraham Lincoln, closing the Gettysburg Address, according to the Nicolay Draft (see photo, below), one of two that he wrote on the day he gave the address. Neither draft contains the phrase, "Under God" (quoted from a photo of the Nicolay Draft, below). Delivered at Gettysburg on November 19, 1863
Just something to ponder...
Wow, thanks for that bit of info.
We have abundant reason to rejoice that in this Land the light of truth and reason has triumphed over the power of bigotry and superstition ... In this enlightened Age and in this Land of equal liberty it is our boast, that a man's religious tenets will not forfeit the protection of the Laws, nor deprive him of the right of attaining and holding the highest Offices that are known in the United States.
-- George Washington, letter to the members of the New Church in Baltimore, January 27, 1793, in Anson Phelps Stokes, Church and State in the United States, Vol 1. p. 497, quoted from Albert J Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom
in this Land the light of truth and reason has triumphed over the power of bigotry and superstition

Good quote, but by today's standards, they were still mired in bigotry and superstition, as we are today. It would be interesting to see how the Americans of 2109 view our current society.
"Cristo! These Yanquis were locos!"
Hehehe! Probably.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service