We're feeling the enduring effects of a 1920s propaganda campaign created by Sigmund Freud's nephew!

(That's not unlike the 1940s DeBeers campaign that manufactured the importance of the diamond engagement ring.)

Bacon for breakfast? (Dr. Jennifer Rooke, Baltimore Post-Examiner)

... Cured pork/bacon had been a staple of the European diet for centuries but it was not considered a breakfast food. Until the 1920s most Americans had a relatively light breakfast, usually coffee, a roll and orange juice. In 1925 the Beech-Nut Packing Company hired Edward Bernays to increase bacon sales.

Instead of simply telling people to eat more bacon he commissioned a “scientific study” in which 5,000 physicians were asked if a “hearty breakfast was better than a light breakfast to replace the energy lost by the body at night. As expected, most doctors said a “hearty” breakfast was better. These “results” were reported back to doctors throughout the country, and in the print and broadcast media, along with advertising for Beech-Nut’s bacon. Bacon and eggs were presented as the “hearty” breakfast to boost energy and vitality.

... The vast majority of people who feel they must have bacon and eggs for breakfast have no idea that they are actually victims of propaganda....

Edward Bernays also worked for The American Tobacco Company. His marketing campaign in the 1920s and 1930s got women to associate smoking with freedom and liberation... we see the deadly consequences today; lung cancer kills more women than any other type of cancer.

... Edward Bernays was not a “bad” person; he did not know the scientific evidence linking bacon and cigarettes to poor health outcomes.

(Rooke goes on to recommend fresh fruit as the best choice for breakfast, with whole grain cereal another good choice.)

It’s tragic when people tell me that they eat bacon for breakfast because it does not have carbs but they cannot eat fruits. The carbs in fruits are attached to colon-cleansing fiber, cancer-fighting phytonutrients, and blood pressure lowering potassium, in addition to the vitamins and minerals that we need for optimum health.

(read the whole article)

(YouTube: Edward Bernays on the Beech-Nut bacon campaign)

Tags: Beech-Nut, Edward Bernays, bacon, breakfast, marketing, propaganda

Views: 329

Replies to This Discussion

That a1c is fantastic!  You did great!

People who have insulin resistance may do better with a low-carb diet to lose weight.

There's a National Weight Control Registry that does research on people who lose a significant amount of weight and manage to keep it off for an extended time (years).   They found that people use all sorts of ways to lose the weight - low-carb, formulas, low-fat, Weight Watchers, etc..  And exercise was very important. 

But for maintaining the weight loss, they went to a lowfat diet on average. 

The reviewer says he didn't like Gary Taubes to begin with, so...eff him.

Well, he'd already written about Gary Taubes, so his opinion didn't come out of thin air.  He does make a lot of good points in both of his posts, and he's actually had academic training in nutrition, unlike Gary Taubes, who has no such training, has done no research - he's just a science writer who became popular writing about nutrition.  He used to write about physics.  His actual background is a MS in aerospace engineering from Stanford, according to Wikipedia. 

As for what Gary Taubes actually says ...

It's true that eating a lot of fructose (in high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose, etc.) is fattening. Soda pop with HFCS is especially bad that way.  Probably eating a lot of simple carbs isn't great either. 

The claims that eating lots of saturated fat is fine or that eating red meat is fine, is not scientifically supported.  According to the Institute of Medicine, an individual saturated fat, stearic acid, doesn't seem to have bad effects.  However they discuss the evidence about saturated fat in general as a health hazard. 

Lately, my usual breakfast consists of breakfast burritos.  The "base burrito" is a flour or flour-corn tortilla with scrambled egg, salsa, cheese.  Sometimes add slices of fried vegetarian sausage, and / or some hash brown.  These are not as cute as Steph's "tiny hamster eating tiny burrito".

And coffee.  Don't forget the coffee.

Weird how our culture is manipulated by people with an agenda for profit or religion, and we are not aware of that.

I worked for an ad agency for 3 years because a friend of mine was a dept. mgr. and needed clerical help BADLY.  I learned a LOT, especially when going on fashion "shoots."  You should see how they use clips and pins out of the camera's view to make garments fit better....or wads of tissue paper to fluff out skirts and tits. 

And as for food "shoots"...Eww.

I didn't ever go on any food commercial filmings...but I heard about them. There's usually a bucket on the floor by each actor. 

I wonder why breakfast has this ritualistic nature - certain conventional meals, repeated over and over. 

Maybe because people haven't quite woken up and aren't really making choices for themselves yet. 

OMNerves...try living with an Aspie/semi-autistic woman.  Everything is ritualistic for an Aspie. She's almost 70, and has the same breakfast (shredded wheat, cinnamon oat squares, and sliced banana), same "lunch" (cottage cheese with avocado and tomato), and same dinner (zucchini and mixed veg with cous-cous on the side) every damn day.  She was over 60 before I could get her to try asparagus, artichoke, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts, and she's still not certain whether or not she likes them.

She's my sister, and Mother left the house in a trust to both of us, so I'm stuck with her.  I think it's Mother's Revenge for my totally wild and independent younger life. 

(She weighs about 100 lbs more than I do, and she snacks on crackers and chips between meals...but she's not diabetic....yet.  I hope I die first.)

Felaine, is your sister obese?

VERY!  She look as if she's 11 months pregnant.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service