We're feeling the enduring effects of a 1920s propaganda campaign created by Sigmund Freud's nephew!

(That's not unlike the 1940s DeBeers campaign that manufactured the importance of the diamond engagement ring.)

Bacon for breakfast? (Dr. Jennifer Rooke, Baltimore Post-Examiner)

... Cured pork/bacon had been a staple of the European diet for centuries but it was not considered a breakfast food. Until the 1920s most Americans had a relatively light breakfast, usually coffee, a roll and orange juice. In 1925 the Beech-Nut Packing Company hired Edward Bernays to increase bacon sales.

Instead of simply telling people to eat more bacon he commissioned a “scientific study” in which 5,000 physicians were asked if a “hearty breakfast was better than a light breakfast to replace the energy lost by the body at night. As expected, most doctors said a “hearty” breakfast was better. These “results” were reported back to doctors throughout the country, and in the print and broadcast media, along with advertising for Beech-Nut’s bacon. Bacon and eggs were presented as the “hearty” breakfast to boost energy and vitality.

... The vast majority of people who feel they must have bacon and eggs for breakfast have no idea that they are actually victims of propaganda....

Edward Bernays also worked for The American Tobacco Company. His marketing campaign in the 1920s and 1930s got women to associate smoking with freedom and liberation... we see the deadly consequences today; lung cancer kills more women than any other type of cancer.

... Edward Bernays was not a “bad” person; he did not know the scientific evidence linking bacon and cigarettes to poor health outcomes.

(Rooke goes on to recommend fresh fruit as the best choice for breakfast, with whole grain cereal another good choice.)

It’s tragic when people tell me that they eat bacon for breakfast because it does not have carbs but they cannot eat fruits. The carbs in fruits are attached to colon-cleansing fiber, cancer-fighting phytonutrients, and blood pressure lowering potassium, in addition to the vitamins and minerals that we need for optimum health.

(read the whole article)

(YouTube: Edward Bernays on the Beech-Nut bacon campaign)

Tags: Beech-Nut, Edward Bernays, bacon, breakfast, marketing, propaganda

Views: 291

Replies to This Discussion

Felaine, you reminded me that I'm wrong.  I'm also influenced by advertising...in a negative way.

The more someone advertises, the less I trust them, and when they make obviously false statements, I make a note to never buy their product.  I make a note in my memory, but also on my computer.  I have a file called "Evil businesses"

One of the companies that annoys me the most is Procter and Gamble with their advertising of Duracell batteries.  

They are not anywhere near the most harmful advertisements (their product won't kill you--just lighten your wallet), but they annoy me because I'm an electronics tech and know they are deceptive.

I've run a test, comparing their alkaline batteries (that cost up to 3 times more), to the other major brands, and found they all last the same amount of time.  About once a year, Consumer Reports tests batteries and finds the same thing.  

The duracell advertisements don't 'technically' lie, but they say no battery lasts longer than theirs, neglecting to reveal that their batteries do not last longer than any other brand.  To me, trying to deceive people is the same as lying, and certainly just as immoral.

....because that's what they served up for us at the Café every morning until fucking Starbucks took the lease.

I haven't been inside a Starphucks in more than 15 years...their prices then for a cuppa chai and a single Madelaine were outrageous, and I can't imagine what they've raised them to now.  I can buy Madelaines at a supermarket, and make my own chai at home.  (I like Madelaines partly because of the name: Mad Elaine...that's ME!)

The only fast food place I really love is Subway, and they are open for breakfast now.  Yayyyy!

Fasting for a diabetic can be risky. For me it is sweats, shakes, confusion, radical changes in blood sugar levels, feeling faint and never actually fainting. What works for me is small meals, frequiently, so that I don't go over the carb intake for the whole day. Some nights I wake up with sweat dripping and shaking so hard I can hardly make to the kitchen. A glass orange juice, and I am fine. 

How do other diabetics' bodies react to fasting? 

Wellll...I have tried to limit myself to 2 meals a day because I can't afford to buy food and pay the utilities, too.  Utilities come first.  Yeah, I have sweats, shakes, and an inability to walk (so I get out my walker). 

I hate orange juice. I spent one miserable summer working in the Cal-Fame accounting office, and they were too cheap to close the windows and turn on the A/C.  So the "aroma" of orange peels fermenting in the sun permeated the office. Gah!  I have never been able to tolerate oranges, OJ, orange candy since then.

I keep strawberries in the freezer, and cheese in the fridge. And sometimes leftover cooked brown rice.

And once in a while, if I'm desperate,  I steal a square of one of my sister's dark chocolate bars.

I eat small meals anyway...I use Corning Ware Grab-It bowls, and if I fill it to the rim, it's too much.

My goodness! fermenting orange peels sounds dreadful. No wonder you can't abide oranges now. Too bad. Strawberries are good and so is cheese. Cooked brown rise will do the job. And by all means, dark chocolate! 

I have a set of Corning Ware Grab-It bowls as well, and often make one bowl of vegetable soup using fresh veg. and homemade chicken stock. Throw in a couple of tablespoons of cooked rice and it makes a filling meal. 

Living with such limited means certainly has not dampened your spirit and joy of livings! That takes a great deal of skills and ingenuity. Not everyone has the wisdom and courage to do what you do. I respect your life's journey. 

Joan, I agree that not everyone has the wisdom and courage that Felaine has.  It sounds like she handles troubles far better than I do.

On the topic of bad experiences with food putting one off of them forever, I can't remember anything that affected me that way.  Well, it does remind me of a slight egg problem I have.  

My mom was not skilled at keeping eggshells out of the eggs, and when I would crunch into a piece, it would temporarily make me not want to eat anymore.  Didn't last long.  

My dad liked to make poached eggs in milk, and to my taste they were good, but a little slimy, and sometimes I even approached the gag reflex.  In that case, if I crunched into a piece of egg shell, the gag reflex was right there, and I couldn't eat anymore for that day.

I know I have mentioned this before, but the best book about nutrition, how our bodies work, and sloppy research (paid for by major food processors) is GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES by Gary Taubes. 

The gist of the book is that fat does NOT go directly from the stomach to the arteries; our bodies are extremely complex, and the NIH and CDC have been lying to us for more than 100 years about diet, exercise, etc.  (Exercise only tones the muscles...and makes you hungry.)

Popular books mostly tell you what's popular.  That's either what people want to hear, or what scares them. 

NIH and CDC have been lying to us for more than 100 years about diet, exercise, etc.

Sez who?  Gary Taubes, science writer?  Why believe him?

Here's a critique.

What sort of response would have been socratic?  Was that one?

Sort of.  Here's another much more detailed critique.

Gary Taubes, science writer?  Why believe him?
Why NOT?Because I have deleted simple carbohydrates as much as I can in favor of complex carbohydrates, and continued to eat bacon, ham, chicken with the skin and bones included and well-marbled beef (when I can afford it), for the past 3 years.  I've lost 40+ lbs without feeling deprived, my hA1c is below 5.5, my cholesterol and triglycerides have come down considerably, and my blood glucose is within normal range.  (I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 15 years ago.)

The reviewer says he didn't like Gary Taubes to begin with, so...eff him.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service