Here is the recipe I use, sort of.  It's from mideastfood.com

Hummus is high protein, legume, and using olive oil keeps it healthy.   I like it with saltine crackers, or with triscuits, or with toasted pita bread, or with toasted nan bread.  

Prep Time: 10 minutes - if that long.

Ingredients:

1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste) ( I use 3 tablespoons)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (I use 2 tablespoons)
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I take mine to work, so I just use 1 clove of garlic.)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use a pinch, not measuring, but more like 1/4 teaspoon)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation:

Drain chickpeas.  Set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.  ( I just use the "pulse" function and guess at the right period of time.)

Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.  (I put it into a glass food storage container)

Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).

Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.

Extra touches:  I like making it red, using either about 1/4 cup of roasted red pepper from a jar, or about 2 tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes, the kind in a jar covered with olive oil.  

**********************************************************************************************************************************

The video below is more elaborate.  I don't go to that much effort.  I don't rinse the garbanzo beans, and I don't pre-process the tahini.  Also I use the recipe above, and instead of blending the olive oil blended into the hummus, I just drizzle it on top.  And no cumin, although now I will try that, sounds good.  I just pour all of it in the food processor and process for a couple of minutes, check on the smoothness, and process a little longer if not smooth enough.  But I liked the video, to illustrate the method, and maybe it does come out smoother than mine.

Other comments-

I kept thinking I should use dried garbanzos, instead of canned ones, to save money and be more "natural". But it's more effort and I never got around to doing it. So usually I make from canned garbanzos.

Then again, I have some soaking overnight now, so it depends on my mood.

Same with the lemon juice. Sometimes I use fresh, other times from the little plastic lemon juice package from the store.

Some people use peanut butter instead of tahini, but I like the tahini a lot better.

Tags: hummus

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Daniel.  I'm not going to go to as much trouble as the video either.

I almost always use dry garbanzo beans.  Don't know if they taste better than canned or not.  One of these days I'll make an A/B comparison.

In fact, next payday I'm buying a 25 lb ($26.25) bag of Garbanzos (along with a $16 bag of split peas).  While shopping I'll also pick-up several brands of canned garbanzos.

I do A/B comparisons every once in a while to see what I like best.  The latest was 3 different brands of mayonnaise.  I couldn't taste any difference, so I'm going by price.  However, I will try two more brands if I can find them.  They are Blue Plate and Hellman's, which are recommended by America's Test Kitchen tasters.

I think the dried beans result in a hummus that is more "garbanzo-ey".  Better flavor.  I try not to let that stop me.  After posting this, I used the dried ones and liked it better.  But canned is easier.

In the winter, cooking the beans helps  humidify the house and warm the kitchen.  In the summer, I can use the burner attachment on the grill, and do it outside.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service