1 c. flaked nuts

1/2 c. sesame seeds

2 c. chopped dried fruit

1/2 c. water

1/2 c. oil

1 small can of thawed frozen fruit juice concentrate, or half regular can

2 tsp. vanilla

1 1/2 tsp. salt

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Blend liquids & drizzle over the cereals, mixing well.

Spread in shallow pan & bake 325* until golden, stirring as needed. Store in covered container.

Views: 64

Replies to This Discussion

I've got to try this.  Thanks for posting. 

Any idea how long this will stay fresh in a sealed container?

This was one of my inventions to avoid sugar for my son who was diabetic as a kid, & all the kids loved granola. I also invented a ''mince'' pie filling without sugar.

I'd say it would be ok for about 3 months but I can't recall how fast it went down at the time.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth myself, & this was right up my alley!

Thanks, that's good to know.  To be honest, I know it absolutely won't be sitting around my apartment for three months.  I have a sweet tooth.

I found that baking it for 15 minutes or so first before stirring in the dried fruits was better as they didn't get too dry.

What about adding sunflower seeds?  I love them in practically everything...including right out of the bag.  Or right out of the flower head, IF the birds don't get to them first.

PS: I forgot to mention that the words "My Granola" remind me of an old song "My Sharona," by The Knack...I think they were one-hit-wonders in 1979.

Anybody feel like writing some new lyrics?  I'm having brain pharts this morning.  (Weird Al Yankovic parodied it as "My Bologna...I think I like GRANOLA better.)

The year was 1979,

I know this is the food group, but here is one more by The Knack which was a big hit as well.

I remember this song

This is a recipe where pretty much anything goes for what to put in it. I also found that baking it for 15 minutes or so first before stirring in the dried fruits was better too.

Sounds yummy - I will try it out.

Here's my granola

4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
1 cup roasted cashews
1/2 cup +1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon maple syrup (use the real stuff - accept no substitutes)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups mixed dried fruit of choice (I use 1 cup golden raisins, 1/2 cup cherries, and 1/2 cup blueberries)

Preheat oven to 250 F.

Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk the next 4 ingredients till thoroughly combined in another bowl, then add to the dry ingredients. Take a large spoon and thoroughly combine everything. Divide the mixture between two large sheet pans, and put in the oven. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Every 20 minutes, stir the contents rotating the pans each time you stir. After 1 hour and 20 minutes, take out of oven and let cool (this takes about 15 minutes). Add the dried fruit, mix, and chow down.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service