What do you like?  For me it's starchy foods, mostly baked.  Pies, breads, casseroles, pastas, tamales, dumplings.

I like cooking the breads, casseroles, and pies.  A weekend without a pie is wasted.

Tags: comfort food, food

Views: 614

Replies to This Discussion

I used to down any drink I liked at a sitting, as well as a huge pile of good food (I still get almost orgasmic thinking about piles of mashed potatoes and brown gravy with lots of margarine).  And I often scarfed a whole large pizza.

After my metabolism changed at age 30, and I couldn't eat as much as I wanted and not gain a pound, the habit remained until I put-on an extra 100 lbs of fat.

I now watch how much I eat and how often, so I've taken-off 40 lbs, feel much better, and am sure I'll eventually take off another 40.

Nevertheless, I still eat everything I like.  Don't totally deny myself comfort foods.

I like the $1 McDonalds burger, so I'll have to try the Double Cheeseburger.

Well, yes.  But I always thought "comfort food" was for special occasions, not every day.

I forgot to mention....(fanfare)

Chinese Take Out!!!!! 

Chicken & Snow Peas w/Water Chestnuts  (Or just snow peas & water chestnuts in a light garlic sauce)

Chinese Take Out!!!!!

Three words: General. Tso's. Chicken!

I never thought about what comfort food was until Daniel started this discussion.  In Wikipedia it says "Comfort food is traditionally eaten food (which often provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the person eating it), or simply provides the consumer an easy-to-digest meal, soft in consistency, and rich in calories, nutrients, or both."

I don't remember being impressed with water chestnuts until a few months ago.  Since then, I've been using them in soups and salads, and enjoying them.  

I mainly like the CRUNCH!  Before I put them in the next dish, I plan on tasting them to see how much I like the taste, while trying to ignore the crunch.

ICE CREAM!  Baskin Robbins, or Schwan's.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Ice Cream for sure!  My favorite is Albertson's Goo-Goo-Clusters, which they don't make anymore.  Boo-Hoo :(  

The other couple of brands of Goo Goo Clusters I've tried don't taste as good.

My next favorite is most any Haagen-Dazs.  After that, it's Dove.  However, I very seldom eat those brands because they are horribly expensive.  Especially Haagen-Dazs.  And their superior flavor is not much above others that are far cheaper.

I've not eaten Baskin Robbins for many years and my taste is probably different now.    Don't remember eating Schwan's.  I'll have to try those two again.

Lately I've been eating various kinds of Breyer's.  My favorite so far is Waffle Cone with Chocolatey Chips.

I should have said that Schwan's is only available through their delivery service, price of product ( varies, but the 1.5 qt. is about $5.50...sometimes on sale for less) plus $1.75 Service fee.  Or I don't know how much via UPS. Not worth it if they don't normally deliver in your area. 

Kind of pricey, but I love them because I gave up driving almost 3 years ago, and I have nobody to help me with shopping and stuff.

You can check them out online.

I like some of the Ben & Jerry's flavors, too...but definitely Haagen - Dazs!  Oh, my! Very creamy. The best test of an ice cream brand is to try their vanilla first, and H_D and Schwans have the best vanillas...IMNSHO.

Haagen - Daez Coffee ice cream. My most favorite thing.

I've never tried any kind of Coffee ice cream.  Does it have much bitterness?

Didn't try any coffee or coffee ice cream when I was a good little moron.  Tried a few kinds of coffee after becoming atheist, but most are too bitter for my taste, unless they have lots of cream, sugar, and flavorings.

I imagine the ice cream would overcome the bitterness, but so far I've not wanted to spend the $$$.  I think I'll try an inexpensive brand of coffee ice cream first to see how it goes.

Spud, coffee ice cream is definitely not bitter.  I recommend you give it a try.

As far as regular old coffee, if it's made right, it shouldn't taste bitter.  I've been drinking black coffee since my college days.  I like a good, bold, robust flavor.  You don't have to accept having a bitter taste in order to obtain a rich, full-bodied coffee.  The only thing worse than horrible, bitter coffee is weak, watery coffee. 

Thanks FA.  I'll try some coffee ice cream the next time I go shopping.  Think I'll try some coffee again as well.

I found a tiny container of Haagen-Dazs Coffee Ice Cream.  3.6 FL OZ for $1.43 (+ 6% sales tax), so it didn't cost much to try it.

I guess I'm one of the few people that doesn't like coffee.  Instead of the excellent flavor of the other Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream flavors I've tried, the coffee one was just mediocre.  

I can't say it was bitter, but the coffee flavor just did not make me want to try it again.

I do know I'm one of those people that tastes the bitterness in some foods more than most people.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service