I took the liberty of copy/paste Pat's chili recipe from the comment board, to here.  Easier to locate.  Thank you Pat!  This is copied verbatim.

Ingredients

2 or so tablespoons cooking oil
2 lbs ground turkey
1 large onion, diced
2 anaheim or poblano peppers, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
1 large clove garlic, finely diced
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can chili beans
1 can corn
1 small can green chilis
1 pckg each taco seasoning & ranch dressing seasoning
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt and pepper

Directions

Sweat the onions, peppers and garlic in a large saute or frying pan with about a tablespoon of oil, over medium heat, for about 5 or 6 minutes minutes till the onions are translucent. Put veggies in a very large pot. Cook turkey in about a tablespoon of oil in the same saute or frying pan, seasoned with a little salt and pepper. When turkey is cooked through, add the taco and ranch seasoning, with a little water and thoroughly combine till a thick sauce appears. Add the turkey to the pot with the veggie mix.

To the large pot with the turkey and veggies, add all of the beans, with their liquid, corn with the liquid, Rotel tomatoes, canned chilis,and cumin. Mix all together and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Then reduce heat to a simmer. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

All in all, pretty simple to make, and will keep in the refrigerator for a week. I never tried freezing it, but I think it would work.

Tags: Food!, TexMex, chili

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

Mmmmmmmm, I like chili!    Will try this recipe, but it could use some cornbread to go with it.  

Mexican cornbread with chili. Awesome.

Spud, I actually heat corn tortillas and dip that in it. With the anaheims, jalapenos, and canned chilis, it has a little heat to it - not overpowering to my tastes. My preference is tortillas, but cornbread, or even beer bread would probably go well.

OK, I've added corn tortillas to my shopping list.  Thanks.

This is our Chili recipe.  Ning has been making it for me.  When I come home from work, the chili is hot in the Crockpot, and the house smells like cooking.  That's really nice, since he works in the evening and I'm here by myself.  I don't like cooking after work because I'm so tired.

Crockpot Black Bean Mushroom Chili
Source: Crockpot Cookbook

Ingredients
• 1Tbsp vegetable oil - we use olive oil.
• 2 cups (8oz ) sliced mushrooms
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 4 cloves garlic minced - we add a couple more sliced cloves of garlic, big slices
• 1 can (15 oz) black beans rinsed & drained
• 1 can (14oz ) fire roasted diced tomatoes
• 1 cup salsa
• 1 yellow or green bell pepper finely sliced or diced - I like having these as chunks or slices
• 2 tsp chili powder or ground cumin or 1tsp each

Directions
Coat inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.

In a skillet, saute mushrooms onions garlic in the vegetable oil about 8 minutes.

Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Mix well.

Cover. Cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or cook on HIGH for 2½ to 3 hours.

Serve with garnish of shredded cheddar and / or sliced scallions.

I imagine this could be done in a pot on the stove, set to a low simmer.

Very similar to my recipe, so I know how good it tastes, but I add a big tin of -drained-  sliced pineapple. And I make it on the stovetop on a low simmer.

Once got a meal of chili with banana in it. Also good.

Daniel,

Thanks for the recipe. I've copied it and saved to my computer. This sounds excellent. Never had chili with mushrooms, but considering I'm doing some changes to my diet, this sounds like it would fit right and, and in addition, be darned tasty.

Daniel, do you lightly brown your mushrooms and onions, or make them dark brown when you saute them?

Spud, lightly brown.  Just a touch of browning.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service