A truly elegant desert

3/4 cup sugar

1-1/2 cup water

3 tablespoons orange liqueur

1 lemon

2 oranges

3 cups champagne

2 cups halved strawberries

In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water.  Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes;  let cool.  Squeeze the juice from 2 oranges and 1 lemon and reserve the juice.  Peel the lemon and one of the oranges.  To the cooled syrup, add the liqueur and the lemon and orange peels.  Chill the syrup for 2 hours, then remove and discard the peels.

Stir in 2 cups of the champagne and all of the reserved fruit juice.  Freeze until it begins to turn mushy.  Beat with a rotary beater until smooth.  Then place in a freezing tray in the freezer.  Let sit for several hours, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, sprinkle the halved strawberries with a little sugar, and pour the remaining cup of champagne over them.  Let stand in the refrigerator for 4 hours. 

At serving time, place strawberries in crystal goblets, and fill with champagne ice.

yield:  6 servings

approx. cal/serv.:  230

Recipe from the American Heart Association Cookbook

Views: 38

Replies to This Discussion

If this won't impress a companion, it's time to find a new companion!!!!

Champagne is sparkling with CO2 is it not?  This will de-sparkle it won't it?

Yes, Spud.  The champagne loses it's "bubbly" in this recipe. 

The consistency of the ice mixture is similar to a 7-11 Slushy with a champagne flavor.  

"Slurpee"  isn't it?

PS...I was just thinking you could do the same with plain champagne...no berries...if you really love the flavor of champagne.  Which I do.

Yes, you are correct, it's Slurpee not Slushy. 

I'm a big fan of sparkling wine as well. 

Oooooh, laaaaa!  I need to order some decent strawberries...and a bottle of Grand Marnier, and I'm all set. 

Thanks, Luv.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service