Wow, just got this news from our Space Coast Freethinkers president...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/buzz/2009/04/crist-dont-like-jesus-plate-...

Tags: church, crist, florida, jesus, license, plates, religion, separation, state

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

Hm. This really has nothing at all to do with the separation of church and state, like I have heard or read many times. It's just another vanity plate, and frankly, Crist is right. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. Just like any one of the other plates available. (Not that his comment about "In God We Trust" being on our money didn't piss me off... That's far from a rationalization for the plates.)

The problem, of course, is in the fact that in this situation, he is able to understand the idea of freedom of expression, but in so many other instances, our government fails to see things so clearly.

From the comments: [Posted by: Skip | April 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM]

"Gov Crist: I agree with your laissez-faire "live and let live" attitude, but here are a couple of questions for you:

1) If a pagan group wants a license plate, is that ok? According to your statement, if you don't want it, don't buy it.

2) If a gay couple wants to marry, is that ok? (If you're not gay, then don't marry someone of the same sex)

3) If you are an adult smoking weed in your own home because you prefer that to the more hardcore drug of legal alcohol, is that ok? (If you don't like smoking weed, don't smoke it)

4) If you a terminally ill patient in debilitating agony, is it ok to have a physician assist you in death? (If you think assisted suicide for terminal patients is immoral, then don't do it if you are chronically ill)

Or, Gov Crist, in the alternative, does this freedom of choice that you are espousing only apply when it fits within your moral frame of reference?

I thought so......."
Wait, wait.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I assumed that they were going through the application process for this. The paying $60,000, having an independent survey conducted, getting signatures, etc...

Are they NOT doing that?? Are they just trying to "pass legislation" to have a plate made? If THAT is the case, that's just dumb and I change my argument. They simply shouldn't be allowed to bypass the system to which every other organization is subject!

Post if you find info about that... I can't find a clarification.
There is a story from April 27th in the Miami Herald. According to that report, the two religious plates have been proposed by two state senators. It sounds as though they did bypass the system.
oh and I loved Kristine's post :)
Perhaps we should petition for an "Non-Believer" plate? or "In Which God Should I Trust?" or "FSM for Prez!"?

I personally believe that vanity plates should be left for saving veterans, football teams and wildlife, not souls or unborn children....
In Reason We Trust?

Anyway, we could certainly try. It will just take a lot of money and effort. If all of the Florida skeptic, atheist, freethinker, etc. groups got on board, it might not be so hard.

But a part of me always feels bad that we could raise $60,000 for a plate instead of using it for something that will more directly impact the world in a positive way. Hmmm...
Crist is a tool. He's right here BUT let's review his backing of that state constitutional admendment that denied civil rights to same/opposite sex couples. Same for his refusal to consider the decriminalization of cannibis and other backwards drug policy in the state. This guy is only willing to promote and perpertuate CHRISTIAN agendas---Florida can do better!!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service