A friend sent me this link today:  

I couldn't believe it; I thought maybe it was satire a laThe Onion.  So I ran some searches, and it's real. 

How could any elected representative in the USA be so hopelessly ignorant of the constitution and Supreme Court decisions regarding religion in public schools for the past 60+ years?

Has the whole country (or the GOP, at least) lost its collective mind?

(And why isn't the font selector thingie working?  I keep trying to make this whole post in Arial, and it's stuck on something else.  Growl.  Hiss!)

Views: 265

Replies to This Discussion

Yes.  And I think they were asked/told to leave Holland because they were so rigidly offensive...

I wish those little details were included in our history textbooks.  I certainly don't remember learning that in school; the pilgrims were always portrayed as persecuted heroes.  Martyrs. 

Nor were we ever told that Massachusetts shipping fortunes were made in the slave trade.

You'd think we would be knee-deep in bologna, or barnyard scrapings by now.

Hi.  I like your posts, sk8eycat.  I disagree with you here, but only in a minor way.  The religious right is telling the "truth" when they claim that most early colonists came here for religious freedom.  Even if they did not belong to a particular persecuted religious group, the founders were aware of the tragedy of persecution based upon dogma and tribal differences: they had witnessed the onslaught of the Catholic Church in Europe and the New World during the previous centuries.  So, the right is wrong if they mean to say, "The early pioneers were all devout Protestant Christians who left their homes because of a desire for religious freedom."  (Evangelical types are ignorant of history; for example, they probably do not know that Protestants once oppressed Catholics in England.)  But they are telling the truth when they say that the founders escaped to the New World to obtain religious freedom -- freedom FROM religion.

I smell the workings of the Religious Right. >_>

SF author Harlan Ellison has called them the Religious Wrong ever since they first started flexing their political muscles.  He also referred to Fatty Falwell's first attempt at organizing xians as the "Moron Minority."  Ellison has always had a scalpel for a tongue, and I love him for it.

As do I, now. XD

But seriously, this is the work of Republicans, right?

Isn't it always?

It sure seems that way. I knew there was a reason I never trusted them...

"Has the whole country (or the GOP, at least) lost its collective mind?"

sadly, a good part of it seems to have.  since when has the Constitution become optional?  how are people getting away with things like this, or what New Hampshire is doing with their education system?  i ask this because i truly don't know - can't the US government put a stop to state bills that are 100% unconstituional? 

i couldn't help myself.  i decided to email the Senator who proposed this legislation:

Senator Tomes, I am writing as a concerned US citizen (Pennsylvanian) regarding your recent bill hoping to introduce prayer into public schools.  I should not need to go any further than pointing out that this contradicts the 1st Ammendment to the Constitution, but I will.  Were this a 100% Christian nation, something like this might pass muster.  As I'm sure you are aware, it is not.  Citizens of the US have a number of religious beliefs, which is what the Constitution was aiming at protecting.  Apparently, it has failed.  Before proposing such legislation, did you give consideration to the non-Christian children who will no doubt to subject to critisism for abstaining from reciting the Lord's prayer.  Do you care?  Public schools are funded by public taxes, that is, money from all different religious people and non-religious citizens.  Prayer in public schools is wrong on all levels, at least if you believe in the principles on which America was built.  I hope your Bill receives substantial public ridicule, well before it gets shot down in your own state, or gets overturned in a courtroom. 

Regards, Matt Greenberg

VERY good!  Thank you.

I'm still so angry at these poseurs, who are only proposing this bill for PR reasons...an old advertising maxim is that "even negative publicity is useful."  Other members of the Indiana GOP are opposed to the bill, and I doubt it will ever make it out of committee for a vote.

I hope.

From the FFRF site linked on this thread, the Lord's Prayer has already been specifically addressed. So yes, I think they know good and well that this is unconstitutional, and they're just gunning for re-election by the unthinking sheep masses.

Abington Township School District v. Schempp, 374. U.S. 203 (1963).
Declared unconstitutional devotional Bible reading and recitation of the Lord's Prayer in public schools

I came across this thread while reading William Hopper's The Heathen's Guide to World Religions: A Secular History of the 'One True Faiths'  An easy read, with a lot of snarky humor.  In the section on christianity, he refers to Jesus as "Josh" (from his name Joshua while he was alive), and as Jesus after all the myths grew up around him.  Thought this quote from the book is apropos.

"While he was teaching his trainees, one of them asked how he should pray to Yahweh. Josh told him not to recite prayers or learn things by rote. Instead (said Josh) you should just talk to Yahweh. He then went on to give an example of how a person should speak respectfully with a divine being. His example is what is now called “The Lord‘s Prayer” and is learned by rote in most churches and is recited daily around the globe. Talk about missing the point."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

bobh commented on Jack Lawrence's video
17 minutes ago
Marie Walewska liked Neanderthal Man's video
24 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Loren Miller's photo
35 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
35 minutes ago
Profile IconSarah Levin, Alex Carrier and Jaydee P joined Atheist Nexus
51 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Grinning Cat's photo
52 minutes ago
chares martel replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
53 minutes ago
Warren Jappe liked Grinning Cat's photo
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown commented on Joan Denoo's blog post According to the Bible, God drowns, kills, slaughters, genocides, stones, burns, mauls, rapes, crushes, ....
1 hour ago
Gila Guerilla replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
2 hours ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service