I find this statement very disturbing:

“To anyone who says that church is no place to talk about these issues, you tell them there is no place better,” Obama said at a conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in Nashville, Tennessee.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/28/first-lady-implores-black-...

Views: 150

Replies to This Discussion

Yikes! That's more than disturbing. It's the churches that want to keep us in the middle ages or worse, banning gay marriage, snooping in our bedrooms, keeping women's mouths shut. I think Annie Laurie will have something to say on this subject.

Churches, from the very beginning, have tried to keep the pew-sitters as ignorant as possible. In the days when the Catholic crutch was the only xian church, most people were unable to read the buybull for themselves.  Until Gutenberg.

In America it was against the law to teach slaves to read and write, but the churches eagerly baptized all slaves who were forced to convert...even though they didn't understand what they were converting to.

Maybe we should start a billboard campaign urging descendants of slaves to repudiate the religions that kept their ancestors in bondage.

I've never understood why an educated descendant of American slaves, who knows their history, would bother to pay lip service to any of the Abrahamic religions.  They were all up to their necks in the trade.

IMO, anyone of any color who goes to church regularly, and obeys whatever rules and dogma he/she is taught, is NOT free.

Pitiful.  And stupefying.

BTW it's the IRS that "says that church is no place to talk about these issues."  Churches can lose their tax-exempt status if they cross over the line of separation.  Maybe that would be a good thing.  I'd like to see that happen; it would certainly help to pay off the national debt.

But, as a rule:

You just don't mess
With the IRS!

Sk8eycat,

Indocrination begins early with all children. However African Americans have a close relationship with their congregations. Their famlies attend church, participate in church activities, and with the indocrination is the need to advertise for Jesus. These people don't have ANY other purpose in life but to secure a spot in heaven. They try to do EVERYTHING they can EVERY minute of the day to appease a facticious god. I think this process is similiar to brainwashing.  I think Causcasians will catch up eventually.

I am definitely not qualified to speak on this subject but with that said I will have a go at it.  I would like to see all people on this earth free from the bondage of religion.  However, black churches have served a vital role in the efforts of black people to obtain not only freedom from slavery but the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights bill and continuing these efforts to further the human and civil rights of all people.  Now GOP governors are cleverly doing everything they can to suppress the right of people to vote.  It is going to be vital for black churches to lead the charge in making sure everyone has whatever voter IDs are necessary for people to vote.  This is not going to be easy and could make all of the difference in upcoming elections.  Those who are more qualified than I am please add to this discussion and correct any errors I have made.  And I sincerely apologize to those whose sensibilities I have hurt.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  What's good for the white churches that politicize their conservative congregations is good for the black churches that do the same with their liberal congregations. Take away their tax exempt status.

In fact, I don't see that taking away tax exempt status from religions is a violation of the First Amendment. No more so than requiring a "for profit" corporation to pay taxes is a restraint on trade under the Commerce Clause.  Because, and let's face it, churches are a commercial enterprise that sells heaven, hell, and magic spirits to the delusional.  Just like selling cake and ice cream to a diabetic.

Well, IRS regs provide that as long as you do not endorse a candidate, you can speak of current issues all you want from the pulpit.  Of course, this leads to the elevation of people I call (after A.A.) "enablers" since the evangelical idiots point to Presbyterians and say, "See? Religion is protected freedom of speech, and if you make me sell contraceptives, that is suppressing my religious freedom."  Sam Harris and Andrew Sullivan debated the enablers issue a while back, Andrew claiming that there are legit churches on the one hand and narrow minded gets on the other.  I thought Sam won. 

From the 1950s or '60s:

"JESUS SAVES...S&H GREEN STAMPS!"

North Carolina became the 31st state and final Southern state to amend its constitution to ban same-sex marriage. Campaigns by religious groups supporting the ban were instrumental in the victory, organizers said.

http://ncronline.org/news/politics/churches-helped-north-carolina-b...

Just sayin'

Yep.  The black evangelical churches were right up there with the Morons LDS church (which only recently began to allow black members to serve in the priesthood) in getting Prop. 8 passed in California...the TV ads were complete BS, and NObody challenged their wild-eyed claims.  Ever.  (How does allowing same-sex couples to marry threaten the civil liberties of knuckle-draggers like the Duggars to run a baby mill?  Just for instance.)

IMO all churches, of all colors and stripes, are irrational and unreasonable, so what good does it do to try to reason with them?

"Go, lemmings! GO!"

Jennifer,

After reading the article, I think this might have been a political campaign power play. The article said that 96% African Americans can help him get elected because they outnumber Causcasians. There is a large group of religious African Americans that could be very influtential in the election. What better way to show you are open to all beliefs than embracing churches and making speeches about them?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Pat replied to Loren Miller's discussion Turns out that lawsuits have rules (Daily Kos) in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
16 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Atheist in FundyLand's discussion Anyone else have trouble finding a compatible psychotherapist?
22 minutes ago
Larry replied to Larry's discussion YouTube Video: "How to Convert an Atheist"
23 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Atheist in FundyLand's discussion Anyone else have trouble finding a compatible psychotherapist?
24 minutes ago
26 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion Turns out that lawsuits have rules (Daily Kos) in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
28 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion Turns out that lawsuits have rules (Daily Kos) in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
29 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Experimental Ebola Serum May Be In Use On Americans in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
34 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Loren Miller's discussion Turns out that lawsuits have rules (Daily Kos) in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
47 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Experimental Ebola Serum May Be In Use On Americans in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
50 minutes ago
Pat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
Matt--Lukin replied to L. Alcorn's discussion Early Christianity
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service