The Rape Fact Sheet gives information about rapists who get away with their crimes.
... stark disparity between “official” rape statistics and the reality of sexual violence. In 1998, there were 1,687 rapes reported in all of Massachusetts, and 526 arrests were made. That same year, among the approximately 1.75 million women in the Boston Metro area, there were actually 15,225 rapes.
These undetected rapists:
• are extremely adept at identifying “likely” victims, and testing prospective victims’ boundaries;
• plan and premeditate their attacks, using sophisticated strategies to groom their victims for attack, and to isolate them physically;
• use “instrumental” not gratuitous violence; they exhibit strong impulse control and use only as much violence as is needed to terrify and coerce their victims into submission;
• use psychological weapons – power, control, manipulation, and threats – backed up by physical force, and almost never resort to weapons such as knives or guns;
• use alcohol deliberately to render victims more vulnerable to attack, or
In addition, the majority of undetected rapists are serial rapists who also commit other forms of serious interpersonal violence.
These undetected rapists represent the vast majority of rapists, and account for the vast majority of rapes.
Sexually aggressive behavior is typically part of a belief system that views
women as sexual objects to be conquered, coerced and used for self-gratification. Undetected rapists are much more likely to hold stereotyped beliefs about the “proper” roles for women and men in society, and to rigidly adhere to those beliefs.
A consistent finding in the recent research on “undetected” sexually violent men is that most of this violence emerges either directly or indirectly from what have been termed “sexually violent subcultures.” Examples of such subcultures include fraternities and delinquent gangs. These subcultures are powerful forces that both reflect the rapist’s views about women and sexual conquest, and also help to shape them. [emphasis mine]