I've been dating this girl for a while now, and I knew she was Catholic.  I knew that going into it and I accept that.  She knows that I'm an Atheist. 

The other day somehow we got on the subject of abortion.  I simply told her that I'm pro-choice, and don't think that I have any say in what a woman does with her body.  She responds by telling me that women that would consider getting an abortion are "failures as women"(I'm quoting). 

I was forced to sit there an smile and not say a thing because it left no room for discussion.  I had no idea what to say to that.

I feel like I should run away from this girl and not look back, despite the fact that we seem to be compatible in every other way.  Should I over look this, or slap myself for thinking that a relationship with this girl would actually work out?

Tags: Abortion, Dating

Views: 263

Replies to This Discussion

Does your girlfriend know you are posting about her on a public forum?  If not, then this whole thread is pretty creepy.
He's only speaking in very general terms, and he's seeking advice.  He's quite far from any impropriety.

You're right, I did have this discussion with her; however, the reason I brought it up here as a public forum is because I needed a difference of opinion.

Her stance didn't leave a lot of room for discussion, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being overly harsh.  For the time being I've decided that it's worth continuing to persue this relationship and see where it goes. 

This might just be an area where her and I have to agree to disagree, and not worry about it again until a time that we decide wether or not to have children, if and when we're still together at that point.

Well, I hope you're using VERY EFFECTIVE contraception, Noah. Otherwise, you might be faced with a conflict over what to do about a real fetus - not just a hypothetical one.
don't drop her over this just yet, if the chemistry is there and you still like her the relationship may be worth keeping. this one statement could be because she has strong feelings about it. she probably equates fetus with the image she has of a full grown baby and many think far more of an infant than an adult woman, blank slate and all. If your pro-life girlfriend starts forcing her ideas on you then you have a problem. You don't need to break up over one thing unless that one thing is a deal breaker for you. If the relationship gets serious you will have to think how she will raise your children and that may be the real problem.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service