People See Sexy Pictures of Women as Objects, Not People; Sexy-Look...

A new study published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, finds that both men and women see images of sexy women's bodies as objects, while they see sexy-looking men as people.

One way that psychologists have found to test whether something is seen as an object is by turning it upside down. Pictures of people present a recognition problem when they're turned upside down, but pictures of objects don't have that problem.

People recognized right-side-up men better than upside-down men, suggesting that they were seeing the sexualized men as people. But the women in underwear weren't any harder to recognize when they were upside down -- which is consistent with the idea that people see sexy women as objects. There was no difference between male and female participants.

Tags: objectification

Views: 889

Replies to This Discussion

On a related note, a nine month old article describes an alarming shift to hypersexualized portrayal of women in "popular media."

Not Sexualized

Sexualized

Hypersexualized

BTW, I found it difficult to find an example of a not sexualized woman. Searching on "business woman" for example gives lots of images of women in business suits with plunging necklines and flirtatious body language.

Marked Rise in Intensely Sexualized Images of Women, Not Men

After analyzing more than 1,000 images of men and women on Rolling Stone covers over the course of 43 years, the authors came to several conclusions. First, representations of both women and men have indeed become more sexualized over time; and, second, women continue to be more frequently sexualized than men. Their most striking finding, however, was the change in how intensely sexualized images of women -- but not men -- have become.

...they found that 11 percent of men and 44 percent of women on the covers of Rolling Stone were sexualized. In the 2000s, 17 percent of men were sexualized (an increase of 55 percent from the 1960s), and 83 percent of women were sexualized (an increase of 89 percent). Among those images that were sexualized, 2 percent of men and 61 percent of women were hypersexualized. "In the 2000s," Hatton says, "there were 10 times more hypersexualized images of women than men, and 11 times more non-sexualized images of men than of women."

"Sexualized portrayals of women have been found to legitimize or exacerbate violence against women and girls, as well as sexual harassment and anti-women attitudes among men and boys," Hatton says. "Such images also have been shown to increase rates of body dissatisfaction and/or eating disorders among men, women and girls; and they have even been shown to decrease sexual satisfaction among both men and women."

The last image you posted of a hypersexualized woman looks like it came from a comic book (which depicts women like this often) or a video game.
I also find it hard to find women dressed conservatively (or should I say business like) without showing cleavage or lots of leg. It's discouraging.

So, who is to blame? I must confess, that I like looking at women. Through many a process, sometimes painful, I hope that I have evolved (socially, that is),to the point that I do not look at a woman and immediately think sex. I have been told by many of the women that I work with that I treat them fairer than most men. So what. Hyper-sexualization, I believe, is geared toward the most vulnerable in our society, teens and young adults. Of both sexes. So the question remains, what do we do? I don't know, except that I talk to my son and his friends about it sometimes, when a remark has been made, and I get an eyeroll and a yessir, and we know what that means.

Hey Tony! You have a good question. What are we to do? Sex sells and people enjoy this type of thing. So if people buy the products what are we to do?

It seems to take away from the imagination. I love listening to music, and making my own pictures to it. But when I see a video, it seems to solidify, making my own images to the music harder to come. Same with movies. In Top Hat, with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, after a particular evocative, sexually provacative dance number, when they come to a stop, leaning against a rail, he offers her a cigarette, then cut scene. Message was very clear, left to the imagination. I much prefer that over this hypersexualized messages we are bombarded with today. After all, the largest sexual organ that we have is right between our ears. If properly utilized, the pictures are not necessary. They are just distracting.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Sentient Biped added a discussion to the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 minutes ago
Steve posted a status
"Thanks guys! I haven't had much time to get on here yet but I like what I see :)"
3 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Atheist in FundyLand's discussion Discouraged: just got back from chorus practice
11 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
12 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
36 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
36 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Joy Division - In a lonely place from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Music by Joy Division.
Video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte.
Smart Dog Videos London (UK)

Joy Division - In a lonely place

Music by Joy Division. Video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Videos London (UK)
38 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Alan Perlman's blog post Can we please call the enemy by its real name?
38 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Amanda's discussion Joy Division - Love will tear us apart (playlist) in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
40 minutes ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
41 minutes ago
Larry replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
44 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark commented on Deidre32's blog post Pascal's Wager -- Your Fate is a Crapshoot
47 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service