Don't let this happen. Sign the petition and let as many people as you can know:

http://pol.moveon.org/smithbill/splash.html?rc=homepage_splash

Daily show take on the subject:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-february-2-2011/rape-victim-a...

Rape is already one of the least prosecuted crimes- less than 2% of CONVICTED rapists serve time even though most women (1 out of 3 women reports a rape in her lifetime- most scientists believe 70% of rapes aren't reported so just imagine how many women are really being raped and how often and ugh how many men must be rapists.)

This is not because we cannot house rapists in prison this is because we do not believe rape is a serious crime as a culture. 8 out 10 black men are in prison for personal marijuana use (even though white males are significantly more likely to use marijuana 8-1 when compared to black men they are not imprisoned for the same crime at comparable rates.)

About six month ago a male Californian judge said on HLN we should "legalize rape because it's not a real crime and if we ever want any babies born rape is necessary." I can't believe American is becoming such a misogynist country- things have been getting worse for women over the last 10 years. I truly thought when I was a child I would see legal equality for women in my lifetime now I doubt it will happen in the next 100 years. By legal equality I mean the ERA- full human rights for women- the same ones people of color enjoy. 

To not consider rape at least the second worse crime is just a way of creating a way of terrorizing women so they can be controlled and kept in a second class status. Rape isn't in the 10 commandments so it doesn't count. Rape is the only crime where we blame the victim. No one ever asks why a white man wore that expensive suit when he got mugged- no one suggests he was asking for it. In many ways rape is worse than murder (as a behavior) because you can accidentally knock someone over and they could die hitting their head wrong but you can't accidentally have your penis fall into someone vagina. I guess in a strange way that judge was sort of right. How can we ever have consensual sex if the person straight women are having sex with has more legal and human rights? Isn't that then the same as statutory rape? Funny that only 50% of American women will ever experience an orgasm... it couldn't possibly be because most women are being attacked in the vagina!? No it's that women are less sexual than men- um ya. Sorry to digress but the subjects are sort of a mobious strip.

Views: 46

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

"But, as I've seen - trying to convince a theist that god isn't real isn't worth my time or anyone's, so I will try to treat anti-feminists here similarly. Honestly I find Christians less distasteful than misogynists."
Enough of the baseless insults, Oryx!
I have argued with facts and logic.  You and the other feminists on this board have responded with false facts and personal attacks against me.
If there is a faith-based allegory here, it is Joseph and I who have been using critical thinking.
And if you have any examples of my misogyny, please post them here, quoted.
I assure, you I can fine DOZENS of examples of bigoted misandry, just on this thread.
Face it.  You have no arguments.  You are afraid of a true discussion.  All you have is name-calling.

The behavior of you, and Asharu, and TNT666 is nothing short of an embarrassment to the website.

Unfortunately this line is out of replies so I need to reply to myself. It is my personal belief, and I'm sure any feminist, that comments made by you (bruce) and others are misogynist. That is not namecalling. In addition I was only stating that I view misogynists as more distasteful than theists, as there are non hateful or discriminatory theists.

As for any claim that I am incapable of critical thinking, what a useless argument as obviously I feel the same in return.

Being a man, I certainly don't hate men. What an odd claim. I hate misogynists, forum trolls and people who make me look bad by proxy. These are general statements about behaviors I am seeing, not an individual.

And your argument about everyone in a discussion group being like minded, you'd be in support of allowing Theists on this site to argue the validity of Atheism?

"It is my personal belief, and I'm sure any feminist, that comments made by you (bruce) and others are misogynist. "
Wait.  So you are admitting that your opinions are faith-based, rather than fact-based?  On an Atheist forum.

"As for any claim that I am incapable of critical thinking, what a useless argument as obviously I feel the same in return."
Well, so far you have been challenged to support your assertion that I am a misogynist, and your response was that is was "your personal belief" that anyone who disagrees with you is a misogynist.
Is that supposed to be an example of your critical thinking?
I'll ask again:  SHOW ME SOME QUOTES OF MINE THAT WERE MISOGYNISTIC.  Show me some instances where I made blanket statements denigrating women.  And again, I can quote many from this thread that denigrate men with blanket statements.

So far, your success at backing up your statements is no better than Asharu's.

You always forget to answer the questions you don't want to (regarding theists on this site)

I find your actions and presence on this group in of themselves misogynist.

As for specifics:
Arguing and trying to be dismissive of the social position of women in regards to rape and violence in dozens of posts is sexist. Dismissing Hysteria by calling psychiatrists raping women with victorian era vibrating devices "voluntary use of vibrators" and claiming its not rape while they had no personal right to refute this treatment is sexist.

Even insisting that every argument must be structured by a male invented logic system is sexist. Saying "it's all in your head" calling women's arguments emotional or such dismissals is sexist. That's only from a few posts. Just because you know little about feminist "mythology" and "think" doesn't mean it isn't true.

I believe your actions speak for themselves. I am here to be supportive, you are here to "keep feminists honest".

Its funny, because my reaction is that its a group for Atheists to discuss Feminism.

If you want an environment where you are surrounded only by those who believe the same things as you, where you accept blindly the pronouncements of the group's leadership, and where those who do not hold the same opinion are ostracized, then go form a Feminist Church.

I don't define rape as exclusively a women's issue for this reason because rape can be done to any person, although women are the only ones who can become pregnant from it (getting back to the original point of discussion--the trivializing of rape to keep rape victims from having abortions). As for the statutory rape double standard, even people who complain about it simultaneously say "that 17 year old guy who had sex with his hot teacher? lucky guy" without seeing the irony in what they're saying. Female/male rape is less common but there is a lot of sexism in it, including the idea that a man always wants sex from any woman so therefore female/male rape is impossible. I don't think it is possible to have sexism against one gender without demeaning both of them. In any case it is wrong and not worthwhile to have a "who has it worse" contest.
I absolutely agree that "who has it worst" is a pointless thing to debate.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service