Don't let this happen. Sign the petition and let as many people as you can know:

http://pol.moveon.org/smithbill/splash.html?rc=homepage_splash

Daily show take on the subject:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-february-2-2011/rape-victim-a...

Rape is already one of the least prosecuted crimes- less than 2% of CONVICTED rapists serve time even though most women (1 out of 3 women reports a rape in her lifetime- most scientists believe 70% of rapes aren't reported so just imagine how many women are really being raped and how often and ugh how many men must be rapists.)

This is not because we cannot house rapists in prison this is because we do not believe rape is a serious crime as a culture. 8 out 10 black men are in prison for personal marijuana use (even though white males are significantly more likely to use marijuana 8-1 when compared to black men they are not imprisoned for the same crime at comparable rates.)

About six month ago a male Californian judge said on HLN we should "legalize rape because it's not a real crime and if we ever want any babies born rape is necessary." I can't believe American is becoming such a misogynist country- things have been getting worse for women over the last 10 years. I truly thought when I was a child I would see legal equality for women in my lifetime now I doubt it will happen in the next 100 years. By legal equality I mean the ERA- full human rights for women- the same ones people of color enjoy. 

To not consider rape at least the second worse crime is just a way of creating a way of terrorizing women so they can be controlled and kept in a second class status. Rape isn't in the 10 commandments so it doesn't count. Rape is the only crime where we blame the victim. No one ever asks why a white man wore that expensive suit when he got mugged- no one suggests he was asking for it. In many ways rape is worse than murder (as a behavior) because you can accidentally knock someone over and they could die hitting their head wrong but you can't accidentally have your penis fall into someone vagina. I guess in a strange way that judge was sort of right. How can we ever have consensual sex if the person straight women are having sex with has more legal and human rights? Isn't that then the same as statutory rape? Funny that only 50% of American women will ever experience an orgasm... it couldn't possibly be because most women are being attacked in the vagina!? No it's that women are less sexual than men- um ya. Sorry to digress but the subjects are sort of a mobious strip.

Views: 46

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

And.....silence.
No response from asharu regarding my repeated requests for the source of her ridiculous claim that only 2% of convicted rapists serve jail time.

It is now painfully obvious that this statement, as well as all the other statements she has made (including her personal slurs against me) have no basis in reality.

Or, that is, "almost" no basis....

Because in fact, I DO know the source of this statistic.  I've known it for quite some time.  I will bet that it is from the study "Sex Offenses and Offenders: An Analysis of Data on Rape and Sexual Assault", which I even quoted in an earlier post.  This study stated:
"About 2% of convicted rapists RECEIVED LIFE SENTENCES."
(http://www.mincava.umn.edu/documents/sexoff/sexoff.pdf)
It seems most likely that despite asharu's strident claim that she gets her facts verbatim from cable TV news ("I pause the tv type EXACTLY what is shown on the screen and send it to my partner on a daily basis."), in reality asharu is not so adept at texting as she thinks she is, and instead of conveying what was actually said, she instead conveyed what she wished she had heard.
For this same reason, eyewitness testimony is often not credible.
For this same reason, people should not copy/paste facts onto forums and blogs without independently verifying the sources.
Asharu's perception is so distorted by her Feminist Faith, that she sees only what agrees with her fantasy, hears only what confirms her mythology.

But I have one more parting gift for asharu on this thread.  For not only did I find the source of her distorted claim, I actually found evidence that it is, in part, true!  There ARE cases where convicted rapists do not serve any jail time!  And for your edification, asharu, hear are the cases that I found:

* Angela Nicole Rudy convicted of raping a 14 year old boy.  Received probation and a suspended sentence.
* Debra Lafave convicted of raping a 14 year old boy.  Three years of house arrest and seven years of probation.
* Gail E. Gagne raped a 17 year old boy.  Sentencing is scheduled for March, where she is expected to receive two years probation.  Reportedly, she will not spend any time in jail.
* Shanda Swanner convicted of raping a 16 year old boy and a 17 year old boy.  Received probation.
* Holly Anna Hatcher plead guilty to three charges of statutory rape.  Received six years probation.
* Carrie McCandless convicted of raping a 17 year old boy.  Under terms of her plea agreement she will not recieve any more than 45 days in jail.

But perhaps the most egregious example of all:
* Alison M. Peck
Plead no contest on 11/30/09 to statutory rape of a 17 year old in Greene County, Missouri.  Received five years probation.
Plead guilty on 12/03/09 to statutory rape and sodomy in Lawrence County, Missouri.  Received five years supervised probation.
Plead guilty on 12/17/09 to two counts of statutory rape in Dade County, Missouri.  Received five years probation.
Three convictions.  Three (at least) different victims.  Three different locations.  No jail time.

Now, where is your outrage, asharu?  All of these rapists were let off, beneficiaries of the "Female Sentencing Discount", which is just one example of the special treatment Western Culture affords women.
  • For this same reason, eyewitness testimony is often not credible.

As a former Psych major, I found that video very interesting.  Thanks for posting it.

No problem.  It (a version with just the gorilla, actually) is mentioned in 'The God Delusion'.  I figured I could find it on YouTube.

The mention of the women not receiving sentences for statutory rape also relates to half of one of the segments of my standup comedy, but I think I'll skip relating it in this thread.  I don't think it would be appreciated.

http://www.livedash.com/transcript/issues_with_jane_velez-mitchell/...

This is the transcript from Jane Velez Mitchell from Feb 8, 2001. The statistic quoted is 6% of rapists serve jail time. I spent all of 3 minutes googling it, maybe if you were interested in promoting healthy discussion rather than trying to internet-rape women in feminist forums you would have spent a few minutes looking.

If you consider Sexual Assault in conjunction with this statistic in which Rape is just one form of sexual violence against women -  including child sexual abuse, partner rape, voyeurism, stalking, dating and domestic violence, drug facilitated sexual assault, &c. It is absolutely 100% plausible that the 2% statistic is a valid statistic, and in fact is probably even smaller of a percent.

Atheists represent a very small number of people in America. Of those, an even fewer number are Feminist.

The off chance that a few of them have found a place to discuss their concerns, share ideas and try to find a safe place to feel like they aren't persecuted is a great thing.

That anyone, who in my (which seems obvious) opinion is a blatant anti-feminist, would troll these boards, spend their time trying to argue against or defame individuals on this board, or belittle rape, especially as a man, is pretty gross. If you had an ounce of morality or compassion you would stop posting in this group and at the least consider stopping your antagonistic behavior.

In fact, every reply, argument, or post that you make in this forum or attacks you henceforth make towards other members of this group, or even any replies  to this comment itself I will personally (and I would encourage others to view it this way) consider a running tally of your immorality and testament to what a creep you are.

I believe what's making him go a bit ballistic is Asharu's complete refusal to admit that she made an error, instead engaging in grotesque ad hominems and going on page-long, emotional explosions that fail to address any of the valid objections he had raised ... on multiple occasions.

You can't blame someone for getting a bit frustrated when someone they're debating an issue with acts this way.  He started with some simple fact-checking posts, and then it escalated from there, with Asharu's responses.

So he's upset because she won't submit to him? How wonderfully topical.
What we're asking for is not submission to someone else.  We're asking for a display of integrity.  She won't admit to an obvious mistake ... and then she goes completely ballistic instead.  She's not being rational.
So you guys are lurking in feminist forums making sure women are being "rational", and aren't having "emotional explosions" as defined by you? Are you for real?
No, I'm a bot.  Any other stupid questions?
His very first response was indicative of his tone. Her further remarks did not change anything.
Oryx, thank you so much for doing the "three minutes" of google searching which Asharu was incapable of accomplishing.  And thank you so much for confirming that Asharu was, as I suspected, COMPLETELY wrong.  For though the difference between 2% and 6% may be arguable small, the fact remains that Asharu specified CONVICTED rapists, while the 6% figure comes from the same reference that TNT666 posted here (http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/feministatheists/forum/topics/rap...), and refers to ALLEGED rapists.  And since I already showed how incorrect the statements made in that poster are (http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/feministatheists/forum/topics/rap...), her statement falls flat on its face.

2% of CONVICTED rapists is a FAR CRY from 6% of ALLEGED rapists.

I trust that since is has been thoroughly demonstrated by all of us that Asharu's claims were misquotes of what themselves were false facts, that now we can all put this embarrassment discussion to rest, and that all of us will stop propagating these false statements across the internet?
Because really, as Atheists, aren't we supposed to be looking for the Truth?  Are we supposed to be demanding evidence, accuracy, and intellectual honesty?  That is the real reason I am "lurking" in a Feminist forum.  To keep you all honest.  To not let your slanders against men be repeated through endless copy/pastes until they are accepted without question.
What better place to combat the religious fanaticism and hypocrasy of radical feminism than an Atheist forum?

And lastly, I hope that it has been thoroughly demonstrated that cable TV talk shows, whether Jane Velazquez or Glenn Beck, whether Kieth Olbermann or Sean Hannity, or incredibly unreliable sources on which to base opinions or policy.  Ideology is the antithesis of Atheism.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service