Mitt Romney On Planned Parenthood: We Will 'Get Rid' Of It (HuffPost)

Mitt Romney is doubling down on his commitment to defund Planned Parenthood, telling a reporter in Missouri that he would "get rid of" the country's best-known reproductive health care provider if he were elected president.

In an outdoor interview with Ann Rubin of KSDK.com, Romney offered a few suggestions on how he would cut the deficit.

"Of course you get rid of Obamacare, that's the easy one, but there are others," he said. "Planned Parenthood, we're going to get rid of that."

Planned Parenthood responded to Romney's comments on Tuesday, characterizing them as dangerous and out of step with what Americans want.

“When Mitt Romney says he wants to ‘get rid’ of Planned Parenthood, he means getting rid of the preventive health care that three million people a year rely on for cancer screenings, birth control, and other preventive care," said Dawn Laguens, Vice President for Planned Parenthood Action Fund, in a written statement. “Mitt Romney simply can’t be trusted when it comes to women’s health."

Romney campaign strategist Eric Fehrnstrom downplayed the comments on CNN Tuesday night, saying the former governor was talking about cutting federal funding only.

"It would not be getting rid of the organization," Fehrnstrom said. "We're going to have to make some tough decisions about spending. The test that Mitt Romney will apply is, is this program so worthwhile and valuable that we'll borrow money from China to [fund] it?"

Read the rest here.

==========================

Okay, someone answer me a question here: during the last election cycle, or even the last two or three, were women even REMOTELY this under fire? Did Planned Parenthood even come up in the Presidential election? Did birth control? I mean what the F*** has gone so very wrong that women's rights have become so blatantly anathema to the republicans with the 2012 election ... or are we yet again dealing with the fact of a black man in the Oval Office?

Let's be real: this had gone too far about 10 squares back. It's time the GOP candidates were called on their misogyny, ALL OF THEM. Women's rights should no more be a part of this election than those for African-Americans, and whether it's Romney, Santorum, Gingrich or Paul making such a statement, they need to be taken to task for it.

Tags: GOP, Mitt Romney, Planned Parenthood, women's rights

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

At least I can respect republifascists like Romney for openly and honestly standing up for their class interest$.

When in office, the role of the republifascists is to go full-steam ahead with empire-building and with building up the strength of the capitalist class dictatorship at times when they’ve sufficiently drugged the masses into a state that will not see us organizing resistance in such a manner that could affect their profits. If the capitalist class thinks that Romney can lead people to support defunding PP without causing significant social unrest then they will $elect him, but chances are they’re still hooked on the Obomber who has done such a tremendous job for them of crushing resistance all while still going full-steam ahead with empire-building. They $elected him because, after Bush, they thought they were going to have to toss us a few more crumbs, but they found that just the thought of “hope” and “change” was enough to squash enough resistance that they didn’t have to toss us any.

If I had to bet now, I’d say that the Obomber yet again will be $elected as head spokesperson for the most vicious and destructive empire the world has ever seen. He has been a very powerful weapon for White male supremacy and U$ imperialism. He has led millions to support U$ imperialism who otherwise wouldn‘t. I don’t think they can do any better. I have no say in the matter, they’re going to $elect who they want to $elect, but I’d choose Romney over the Obomber right now because it will provide a better social climate from which effective resistance could possibly form. They know that too, and that’s another reason why the Obomber will be re$elected.

The capitalist class are still loving this GOP race. They get to toss out some of their talking points and see how the public reacts to them, and if they believe they can get away with it they’ll put Romney or Santorum in there to implement some things in their agenda (defunding PP is just a small drop in the bucket compared to their overall vision of the society they want), all until enough people go fucky and start organizing effective resistance, and then they’ll need to vomit up another Obomber to calm the masses for awhile and give the illusion of “democracy” as the Amerikan idiot liberals (spit) continue to latch on to an ever-rightward moving ship.

How did I know it would be something like this sort of screed, when I saw your name on the e-mail notification? Dude, when you load your messages with many times more buzzwords than content, you turn people off before they read more than a line into your post.

You sound like a liberal version of Fox News, and I hate when shit-heads make my side of social issues look bad.

I stopped reading at "republifascists".  Then I saw who wrote it and was glad I chose not to read.  I agree that he makes us look bad.

You, too, eh?  I thought all the dollar signs were a bit too much kitsch!

Ya know, Sendero, it'd be one thing if you actually addressed the issue of PP and Romney with your not-so-little diatribe, but you didn't.  Next time, you might consider sticking a touch closer to the topic at hand rather than going off the rails.

A shame I can't control comments on this discussion, 'cuz YOURS would be out on the lawn with the rest of the garbage.

I know that there are people who have trouble comprehending my posts (even to the point of saying my post here was off-topic and that I‘m a “liberal“), oh well. But there are others who are equipped with a scientific mind and who are capable of understanding new things and old things in new ways..these people do not require everything be put into the king’s english and have active enough minds to decipher the meaning of new words and concepts.

If you’re so comfortable in your life that you’re not constantly struggling to change the world, to have a profound shift in what is considered “normal”, and to realize humanity’s clear potential to produce adequate food, clean water, shelter, and health care for all, then you’re part of the problem and my posts will never appeal to you…go back to your privileged existences just knowing that there are people out here who are organizing to actually change the world and we’re not waiting on some suit-dummies and their allies to decide it’s time to do it.

Bud, that's twice now that you've commented crap here which has NOTHING to do with my original post.  Frankly, you sound like you enjoy the sound of your own voice.  Groovy - go get yourself a pied a terre on wordpress.com and blog to your heart's content.  Dump your BS here again, and I'll petition A/N to have it removed, and if you want to be persistent, you along with it.

But there are others who are equipped with a scientific mind and who are capable of understanding new things and old things in new ways..these people do not require everything be put into the king’s english and have active enough minds to decipher the meaning of new words and concepts.

Dude, you're a dogmatic fuck-wit, on par with any fundie theist.  If you had coherent concepts, rather than dogma, you'd be able to explain them to others, rather than puking your buzzwords and cute tween-aged twitter-shorthand all over serious discussions.  Go away and let the adults talk with each other.

Don't hold back, tell us how really feel. :)  Perfectly said.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
6 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
25 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
57 minutes ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
David Seidman replied to Carrot Hare's discussion Atheists around the world! ASSEMBLE!
1 hour ago
David Seidman replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service