I got this from NARAL today.

Just this morning, Mitt Romney announced his choice for his vice presidential running mate: Anti-choice extremist Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI).
Anti-choice forces are thrilled with Ryan, and it's no wonder why:
  • During his time in the U.S. House of Representatives, Ryan cast 59 votes on abortion and other reproductive rights issues. He voted anti-choice each and every time.
  • Ryan repeatedly voted for and cosponsored the Federal Abortion Ban, a law that criminalizes some abortion services, endangers women's health, and carries a two-year prison sentence for doctors.
Ryan is outspoken about his anti-choice beliefs:
"I'm as pro-life as a person gets. You're not going to have a truce. Judges are going to come up. Issues come up, they're unavoidable, and I'm never going to not vote pro-life."1

Why does this not surprise me.

Tags: Anti-Choice, Republican Candidates

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

Romney was bad enough.  Adding Ryan to the republican equation only pours salt on an open wound, never mind issues like defunding Medicare and Planned Parenthood.  These guys and their misogynistic policies should scare any woman to death, never mind ANY PERSON who dares to CARE about another.

Loren I agree! It is definitely salt in the wound!

Continuing this important tangent:

The nonpartisan Center on Budget and Policy Priorities reported that Paul Ryan's budget plan (as the House Budget Committee chairman) gets at least 62% of its cuts from programs for lower-income Americans.

One specific example: his budget would slash SNAP (formerly "food stamps") by more than 17%, ending or cutting benefits for millions of households.

More bad news - and I thought they were bad enough.

Sadly, I know people who claim to be pro-choice but consistently vote Republican (and one in particular who intends to vote Romney-Ryan).  She also claims to care about the poor.  I don't buy it.

*shrug*

I think there was another discussion about this, in Atheist News or somewhere like that, about how people don't truly believe that Republicans want to do all of the bat-shit insane things that they say they want do do in the primary season.  Plus, a lot of people don't pay any attention at all to politics until the primaries are over, so they don't hear anything about the social issues.  As far as lots of people are concerned, there's no real difference between the parties, because they only hear the generic, "We're going to create more jobs!  My opponent is lying about this!" of the general election.  They're too lazy to look up actual fact-checking websites and see who's telling the truth ... and what their REAL positions are.

A lot of people are oblivious to the laws that are ACTUALLY BEING PASSED in states like Virginia, Arizona, and many states in the southeast.  It's happening in another state, so they don't pay any attention to it.  With that kind of myopic focus, someone could construct this sort of view of the Republican party.  It's still horrifying, and I can't stand people who are that intellectually lazy, but it's understandable, from a human perspective.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Todd Crispin replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Hawking Likes Film on His Life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
45 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Patricia's discussion Very Ancient Sharks Teeth Found in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
48 minutes ago
Todd Crispin liked John Jubinsky's discussion Hawking Likes Film on His Life
49 minutes ago
Todd Crispin replied to Patricia's discussion Very Ancient Sharks Teeth Found in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
52 minutes ago
Todd Crispin posted discussions
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
1 hour ago
Todd Crispin replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Pope Francis confesses that Evolution and the Big Bang theory are right: God isn't 'a magician with a magic wand' in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Todd Crispin's discussion Unidentified Flying Objects?
1 hour ago
Profile IconTodd Crispin, Kristi H and Connor Galletly joined Dr. Terence Meaden's group
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin posted a status
"Sitting here eating sunflower seeds waiting for smart people to create a pill to make be skinny again....lol.."
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin replied to Todd Crispin's discussion Unidentified Flying Objects?
2 hours ago
Jimmy McCann replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Pope Francis confesses that Evolution and the Big Bang theory are right: God isn't 'a magician with a magic wand' in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service