So for those of you unfamiliar with it, the Skeptic's Annotated Bible is a website that contains the entire King James Version of the Bible, and it highlights passages that point out that the bible is neither inerrant nor good/just. The site now also has a Quran version and a Book of Mormon version.

The site has pages that focus on quotes about many popular and controversial subjects. One of these pages that can be found for all three books is "Women". It's a great resource for learning about the misogyny inherent in religious texts. Here are the links:

The Bible on Women
The Quran on Women
The Book of Mormon on Women

Additionally, the site has sections on "What the Bible/Quran/Book of Mormon says about..." which have quotes on more specific issues. Here is what the bible says about:
Women's Rights
Rape
Pregnancy
Abortion (Surpisingly, no opposition to it.)
Marriage
Menstruation
Family Values

Tags: abortion, anti-feminism, bible, bigotry, book, discrimination, equality, family, females, feminism, More…feminist, girls, holy, incest, inequality, intolerance, koran, marriage, menstruation, misogyny, mormon, of, polygamy, pregnancy, quran, rape, rights, scriptures, sexism, values, women, women's

Views: 23

Replies to This Discussion

If you're looking for pro-choice resources, I've got a ton!
Legal Abortion: Arguments Pro and Con at Choicematters.org A list of pro-life claims and pro-choice rebuttals. This is one of my favorite resources.

Effect of Pregnancy at The Liz Library I don't like some of her opinions on fathers, but this huge list talks about possible side-effects of pregnancy, and I think it makes people think twice about forcing people to remain pregnant and give birth against their will. And it has a few other nifty facts.

Do they really mean what they say? at Alas, a blog Why it's difficult to believe pro-lifers who claim that they believe abortion is murder. Pro-Life Quotes and Is it about saving babies? from abortion.org.aualso raise suspicions as to whether the pro-life agenda is really about saving fetuses, or about making women "face the consequences" of sex and keeping them "in their place".

I'm Not Sorry is a site dedicated to the stories of women who do NOT regret having an abortion.

The Passionate Skeptic on The Ethics of Abortion

Religious Links: Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice, Catholics For A Free Choice, and two excellent essays from the one of the coolest theists and the least-crazy born-again Christian I've ever seen: Why Abortion is Moral and Why Abortion is Biblical by Brian Elroy McKinley.

And that's not all. I'm a frickin' library!
Most awesome, thanks.
My dad just went on and on yesterday about how using my bc was like shooting babies with a gun . Thankfully, I'm pretty far away from back home, but this guy and half of my very Catholic family are coming in thanksgiving to visit my closeted atheist household. I'll need all the bs munition I can get my hands on.
Wow... That's ridiculous. He's probably heard all that "The Pill Kills!" bullshit.
What meanings did they find?
Some of the commentaries are quite funny.

Jacob is tricked by Laban, the father of Rachel and Leah. Jacob asks for Rachel so that he can "go in unto her." But Laban gives him Leah instead, and Jacob "went in unto her [Leah]" by mistake. Jacob was fooled until morning -- apparently he didn't know who he was going in unto. Finally they worked things out and Jacob got to "go in unto" Rachel, too. 29:21-30

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service