Richard Dawkins has often said that Douglas Adams was his only "convert" to being a "radical atheist". I was just wondering if any of you would list Douglas Adams as an "in turn" influencer on your road to freethought.

I for one have pretty much been a lifelong freethinker, so I can't say Douglas Adams influenced me. However, i get great joy out of his writings, both fiction and in particular non-fiction. I would say that he had a way of expressing thoughts in a way that makes you laugh at the absurdity of some beliefs. He also uses language that is accessible to anyone.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

I love Douglas Adams! First discovered him in catholic school while still an in-the-closet-atheist/ agnostic. It was great to read something that put into perspective how bizarre the whole universe is with humor & insight. His writings definitely helped me along the path to reason.
I think DNA helped me realise what I'd been thinking for a long time. I'm not sure I realised atheism existed as such until I read him.
Yes, in some way I was influenced by Adams though a bit after the fact.
My wife was the real catalyst for freethought but once my independent cognitive mechanisms were engaged there was no going back. Through a proces of several months afterwards, I would occasionally encounter an Adams quote or excerpt from those great works and think "Wow, so that's what he was talking about".

In that way, what I had absorbed through 6 of his books (I'm including tea-time and detective agency) began to reinforce what I had already started to feel, accelerating the process.

Douglas Adams is what I would call a type of "WD40" of intellectualism. Although not a definitive lubricant in and of itself, it is an excellent cleaner and minor friction reducer, just enough to break the rust free and get the gears turning a bit. In that analogy, I guess religion would be the "incredibly salt-laden water" that corrodes the bearings of our minds, dulling the teeth of interlocking gears and rusting the valves shut so that the entire machine functions at a very limited capacity, if at all.
Nice analogy! I am going to plagiarize it! :D

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
4 hours ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
4 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
5 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
5 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
6 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
6 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service