This is at the top of felch grogan's profile page here on Atheist Nexus. It makes me laugh, even though I don't believe in luck.

As an ex-Neo-Pagan, it blows my mind how many people who fall under the Neo-Pagan umbrella (Neo-Druids, Wiccans, Heathens, Asatru, etc...) come from one religion with an entire set of superstitions, only to become Neo-Pagan and exchange them for an entirely new set of superstitions, or even to add them to the superstitions they already have.

Unfortunately, I was one of those people. One of these days I'll post about how I went from being a baby, newly born with no indoctrination; to my years of self-delusion; finally to atheism. I literally studied astrology (among other things) for 20+ years. I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do educating myself in useful studies.

I knew someone once who had to throw the I-Ching before they made any decision. I wonder if they ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome. Then there are people who make offerings to the "fey", and I'm thinking... I'll bet that would be put to better use at a soup kitchen.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Any stuporstitions that you used to believe, but have thrown off?

Tags: cultural appropriation, deep psychology, neo-druid, neo-pagan, neo-pagans, occult, superstition, wiccan, woo woo

Views: 316

Replies to This Discussion

I have always a thought that all those thing have some true, even not the same way everybody thinks. Then I read about how subconscious can lead us to do stuff good and bad, just because we believe in something, I know that this was what I was thinking about. I mean, there are studies about how a bad thing can be to cancer patients known that a church is praying for them.
An horoscope is not true, but people can make it true without even know, if you understand it.
And I always love stars to much to believe in astronomy, you know? Astronomy and Astrology don´t get along. Starting that there are fourteen zodiac constelations instead of twelve...
I mean astrology the first time.
Understood.

Sadly, I spent 20+ years studying astrology when I could have put that time to better use studying something useful, like astronomy, or maybe sewing, or housing construction, or...
Sorry to hear you got treated that way, but it was an eye opener, wasn't it? This is why Atheist Nexus gets 90% of my social networking site time. Sometimes I get jostled a bit, but for the most part, it's a breath of fresh air.

Unfortunately, a lot of people see disbelief as an attack on their beliefs. I think it's even worse when you actively don't believe, and produce scientific evidence to back up your claims.

I've lost a few "friends" because they feel I am not open minded because I won't listen to them witter on about their invisible friend(s), why I should believe, yadda yadda yadda. I'm pushing 50, I've heard all those arguments before, and frankly, they bore me. I've already wasted enough of my life on woo.

Glad to hear you are much less confused and unhappy.
The common connotation of "open mind" is that an open-minded person has no filter and accepts any idea that comes to mind. Also, calling someone closed-minded is kind of like calling someone selfish or stubborn; usually I notice the person accusing is equally stubborn, selfish, or closed-minded! Why would you want to listen to all that when you already tried plenty of it for many years?
The common connotation of "open mind" is that an open-minded person has no filter and accepts any idea that comes to mind.

Well put, and yes! A friend's mother says that one shouldn't be so open minded as to hear the wind whistling through.

Also, calling someone closed-minded is kind of like calling someone selfish or stubborn; usually I notice the person accusing is equally stubborn, selfish, or closed-minded!

I've noticed that too. It's good to know at least one other person has noticed that.

Why would you want to listen to all that when you already tried plenty of it for many years?

Yeah, exactly.
Many people are angry at Christianity, so they become pagan. It makes me laugh when pagans talk about how stupid Christianity is, yet they have equally fairy-tale beliefs. I see paganism as about the same as Christianity, with less homophobia, and I've seen pagans be equally hateful toward Christians.

I would like to hear your story b/c I spent 9 years on paganism and it was a total waste...I want my 9 years back!

I could see superstition bringing bad luck b/c it makes people avoid or become obsessed with certain things, and distracts them or limits them. My main superstition: if you worry about something, it won't happen; if you don't worry about it, it will happen. Otherwise I just had superstitions about certain stones, herbs and colors being good for certain things. I still do have a rock collection...but only b/c they are pretty!
I see paganism as about the same as Christianity, with less homophobia, and I've seen pagans be equally hateful toward Christians.

Same here. I got tired of hearing so many Neo-Pagans talk about how bad Christianity is, and how good their particular brand of woo woo is. At least Christians have charitable groups. I know that some Neo-Pagans have charitable organizations now, but when I was on, I didn't see people doing much volunteering, if any.

Heh. I keep saying I want all the money I donated to the Catholic Church back, with interest. I didn't donate much to Neo-Pagan... stuff. I did go to a few festivals, but I actually had a good time, so they can keep the money.

I would like to hear your story b/c I spent 9 years on paganism and it was a total waste...I want my 9 years back!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
When I held a job that relied on tips, I found the more religious/spiritual a person proclaimed to be, the lower the tip if any.

Including Pagans.

Especially underscored by the fact that the job was tour guiding in a New Agey town, giving New Agey type tours. "Wow, thank you! We learned so much! That was so cool! You have such great energy! Bye!" *No tip*

-_-
That's so material of you. They probably sent you good vibes, and helped illuminate your aura.
Yes, when it came time for my Mom's funeral and I said to my sister, "I'm sorry, but I don't have enough money in the bank for a shuttle to the airport much less a plane ticket and unpaid days off work."

She replied, "Don't worry about that. We'll use some of Dad's frequent flyer miles to get you a ticket. As to the rest, Mom didn't have a lot of life insurance but she had some. Your family will take care of you. We want you to be here with us."

The "Your family will take care of you ... we will take care of you" bit was emphasized several times. So I flew out.

I then learned that "We'll take care of you" translates as "We'll pray for you."

It took over a year to recover from the financial sinkhole that put me in.

Come time for Dad's funeral, I was far more direct. "I have no money. If I come out here's how much I need in travel expenses and lost work."

"Oh don't worry about that! Dad had $7,000 in his checking account, I'm using that for travel money for anyone who wants to come out!" When I got there she literally threw hundred dollar bills at me. Rolling in the dough, more than we need.

A few months later, she kept that money plus some out of my inheritance, retroactively the "Whatever you need" became a "loan."

Will never, ever take a dime from my sister again no matter how much she says it's a gift. Apparently, her definition of gift and mine are two different things.
Wow. Your sister is a piece of work.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service