Most of the people here seem to have been raised SDAs, and thus to  have had no choice in the matter. I converted in my 20s. Is there anyone else here who converted at about that age or even later in adulthood? I wasn't stupid or uneducated. Some things continued to give me doubts all the way through, especially Ellen White and creationism. But for some reason I decided that these were unimportant, only to find out that they were. At least intellectual integrity is important. If I had to give advice to any young person considering any high demand, high credulity religion, it would be "Do you think you'll still believe this 10 years from now?"

And I don't want to blam others for my mistakes, but I think we as a society really need to emphasize the importance of critical thinking skills with special reference to religion. Even if you're not going to be atheist, you need to be able to evaluate a given faith's adherence to its own standards. For example, is SDAism really so "biblical?"

Views: 261

Replies to This Discussion

BTW, I really wish this particular forum was more well attended. Most ex SDAs on the interwebs seem to have transitioned to some form of Mickey Mouse evangelicalism, and it isn't that easy to find those among us who have taken the red pill (or is it the blue pill? I forget) of non theism. But I really think we're out there, and we have a lot to discuss.

I agree.  I'm at fault in my own way - I could certainly visit and contribute here more than I do.  But on the other hand, I'm still pretty grateful that we're out here, and trying to connect at all.  You're totally right - most ex-SDAs have gone all fruity-squirrely into other denominations, and I have zero interest in that.  Ick.

You're absolutely right - there are so many of us out there, but the finding each other can be hard.  Heck, half of us are still sitting in the pews on a Saturday!  That 'dance' of feeling out whether another person who's still a member 'believes' or not can be....interesting.  (But pretty satisfying when, across a crowded sanctuary, you catch another person rolling their eyes at yet another altar call, and you both just *know*.  Heh.)

i think sometimes going into another denomination is a form of denial, like, well, i've lost what i believed but at least i still have god and the bible. i did this for several months after i discovered the truth about egw. but then more doubts crept in and i finally accepted my unbelief. it's definitely a process. i think most people are scared of letting go of the belief in god because it makes them feel safe.

Matthew-- yes, I agree with you.  I've wished for more participation, too.  But I think I may not be doing something right tech-wise and am missing a lot of stuff.  I wish there was a place to go for us real dummies to get some basic tech savvy right so I could keep up and participate.  But I don't know how to learn it like kids that seem born with it.  Learning late in ife to use these forums (not just this one, but others too) feels like coming in on the last 5 minutes of a movie and trying to figure out the whole plot from the beginning.

I for one, would love to find other ex SDA's that have gone full Monty, esp. if they were anywhere near my geographic area (Pacific Northwest).  But it's all kinda scary at the same time.  Hence the 'nym.

Mephistopheles: I don't want to insult our good hosts, but Atheist Nexus is like a trip back to the internet of 1999. If this site itself were up to spec, it would be a lot easier to use.

I've noticed the same thing as both of you.  I also find that most of the ex-Adventists on the web now claim to have found the biblical 'truth' and haven't made the leap toward the obvious conclusion. ;)  I was raised SDA but started to have some serious doubts around the age of 12 (questions even before that) and things just snowballed from there.  The funny thing is, it wasn't until I was older and started investigating SDA that I realized how utterly nuts some of the SDA beliefs were!  LOL  

Matthew-- yes, I agree with you.  I've wished for more participation, too.  But I think I may not be doing something right tech-wise and am missing a lot of stuff.  I wish there was a place to go for us real dummies to get some basic tech savvy right so I could keep up and participate.  But I don't know how to learn it like kids that seem born with it.  Learning late in ife to use these forums (not just this one, but others too) feels like coming in on the last 5 minutes of a movie and trying to figure out the whole plot from the beginning.

I for one, would love to find other ex SDA's that have gone full Monty, esp. if they were anywhere near my geographic area (Pacific Northwest).  But it's all kinda scary at the same time.  Hence the 'nym.

P.S.  If I screwed up posting this, I'm sorry.  I'm a bit  lot of an idiot on social media stuff.

It's true.  The Adventist church as a whole gets an F- for critical thinking.  And the whole 'no one else follows the Bible more closely' claim is, to put it lightly, bull.  Ask any Adventist to explain Daniel 11.  I dare you.  It has an obvious, simple, perfectly historical explanation, that flatly contradicts the timelines of William Miller, and so is flatly denied by Adventists, despite being held by virtually all other Christian groups.

EDIT: And Jewish groups.  And secular scholars....

I'm  sorry  I've been away for so long :/

Perhaps I could "come-to-nexus-school-at-half-past-nine-o'-clock" and stay until 12... or like my old church did,until 12:30 :P

For anyone wondering that was a  reference to a kindy sabbath school song about when to come to sabbath school.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service