Excerpted from Jon Hurdle's U.S. residents fight for the right to hang laundry:

Carin Froehlich pegs her laundry to three clotheslines strung between trees outside her 18th-century farmhouse, knowing that her actions annoy local officials who have asked her to stop.

Froehlich is among the growing number of people across America fighting for the right to dry their laundry outside against a rising tide of housing associations who oppose the practice despite its energy-saving green appeal.

Although there are no formal laws in this southeast Pennsylvania town against drying laundry outside, a town official called Froehlich to ask her to stop drying clothes in the sun. And she received two anonymous notes from neighbors saying they did not want to see her underwear flapping about.

"They said it made the place look like trailer trash," she said, in her yard across the street from a row of neat, suburban houses. "They said they didn't want to look at my 'unmentionables.'"

Froehlich says she hangs her underwear inside. The effervescent 54-year-old is one of a growing number of Americans demanding the right to dry laundry on clotheslines despite local rules and a culture that frowns on it.

Their interests are represented by Project Laundry List, a group that argues people can save money and reduce carbon emissions by not using their electric or gas dryers, according to the group's executive director, Alexander Lee.

Widespread adoption of clotheslines could significantly reduce U.S. energy consumption, argued Lee, who said dryer use accounts for about 6 percent of U.S. residential electricity use.

Florida, Utah, Maine, Vermont, Colorado, and Hawaii have passed laws restricting the rights of local authorities to stop residents using clotheslines. Another five states are considering similar measures, said Lee, 35, a former lawyer who quit to run the non-profit group.

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE5AH3JQ2009111...(News+%2F+US+%2F+Environment

Tags: Project Laundry List, carbon emissions, clotheslines, laundry

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

Considering I live in a trailer park, that remark really pisses me off. I don't give a flying fuck what you have in your yard so long as it does not endanger anyone, i.e. standing water or car parts etc.

Its shitty and nosy people like that who make me thankful I do not live in a community with rules to police everyone.

I am gonna go live in the mountains, screw the cities!
we applauded a mayor who put an end to the bad habit of throwing trash everywhere

How in the world did he do this? I live on the corner of two streets with a lot of pedestrian traffic. There is a lot of trash on the ground every day. It really makes me mad.
Hey, I'm "Trailer Trash" too. :-P

Actually, it's kind of funny. I live pretty far from 'the city.' Inside a very rural National Park in fact at the employee housing. The dorms are the trashier, party-people section. The RV section tends to be the more well-off employees, much cleaner and much quieter. The RVers tend to be the retirees who are working here just for fun and slush money.

With a few exceptions like me who are living in a beater RV because that's what I can afford. ;-)
Anyone saying anything against line-drying should have to walk around town with a pair of panties hanging from their back in shame, just like the old letter A.

What pettiness our city councils display on the behest of the rich tzars that mold their decisions. Municipal politics are just pain ridiculous and corrupt.

Our city council has in the same vein declared that lawns not be allowed to grow higher than 10 cm, which any landscaper knows to be the absolute MINIMUM for a healthy LOW maintenance lawn. RIDICULOUS.
Depending on the condo complex and the neighborhood, I can kind of see putting some restrictions on trashing up your yard.

But especially in the case of owning one's own home, you paid however many hundreds of thousands of dollars for that property, you should be able to hang a bra and a shirt out to dry if you wish. My laundry actually gets hung on the side view mirrors of my RV. There's a certain art to piling your trash and hanging your laundry so it doesn't look quite so trashy.

I used to live in a very high-brow tourist town. Million dollar homes and over the top HOA rules like you can't have an RV in your driveway at all, no basketball hoops, etc. If I pay 3 million dollars for my home, I'm damn well putting up a basketball hoop if I damn well want to!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service