Good article, and well worth reading.  - DG

Peak oil production coming much sooner than expected

A storm is quickly approaching, and the world is not ready for it.

The permanent end of the era of cheap oil is coming as soon as next year, according to a raft of official reports that have made their way into energy media over the last few months. Governments are now beginning to acknowledge the looming crisis. Yet, perhaps because they waited too long to prevent it, leaders are not yet alerting the public.

The entire world economy is built on cheap oil. A permanent oil production shortage will thus lead to The End of The World (As We Know It). What will come on the other side of this -- will it be good or bad?

Read the rest on Grist.org.

Tags: Grist.org, drilling, economy, energy, oil, peak oil

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

If, and I believe it is, "The End of The World (As We Know It)" is here and now, then that implies one has the opportunity to shape a preferred future. I feel fear, anxiety, confusion, and all the other things that one feels in the face of permanent change. Fears can lead to chaos and anarchy, but it can also lead to reasoned options.

Got any ideas?
Well, we in so many aspects, we have the technology to move beyond oil. However, you can't get plastic bottles, or insecticides (not saying all that is good), or polyester, and all these other things we get from oil from something like solar or wind power. We should be getting off oil in the areas that we can, and save the oil for things for which we have no replacements.
I am a user of plastics and insecticides; that is the bad news; the good news is I can find other ways to do the same job. Maybe they aren't as effective or efficient, but a paper sack or cardboard box will work just fine, and I can plant a lot of marigolds, garlic, onion, and mint to shoo away the bugs. The fungi and diseases present more of a problem.
We all are, either directly or indirectly. I need to have distilled water for my CPAP machine (for sleep apnea). It comes in a plastic bottle, glass is not an option. What do I do? I buy the plastic. We can't escape it.
It may be too late for you saddly, but a post-petrochemical society I think will have a lot fewer diseases. Our petrochemical life has caused damages to our health at many levels.

I look forward to seeing the rebirth of hemp and natural fibers in general.

A post petrochemical society will be a better society.
I for one am all the more glad for my expandable solar system and getting back on the bicycle. One fueled with the sun, the other with bananas and bagels.

As for global predictions; I think it will get real messy before industry starts changing its ways. There will be a critical shortage, a decade or more of crisis, a war or three, then a couple hundred years later, kids in history class saying, "How did they not see this coming?"

Cynical, but there it is.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service