From the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC):  

"Seeking to deflect charges of racism, anti-immigration activists have launched a cynical campaign to recruit environmentalists to their cause by blaming immigrants for urban sprawl, overconsumption and a host of other environmental problems, according to a report issued today by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

The report – Greenwash: Nativists, Environmentalism & the Hypocrisy of Hate – describes how right-wing nativists are targeting the mainstream environmental movement with advertisements, websites and even a newly formed "progressive" organization that purports to represent liberals who believe immigration must be radically curtailed to preserve the environment. 

"The key players behind this effort are nothing less than wolves in sheep's clothing," said Mark Potok, director of the SPLC's Intelligence Project. "Environmentalists should not fall for this canard. These are hard-line nativists, some of whom have ties to white nationalists, and their  primary interest is to radically restrict Latino immigration. Preservation of the environment is hardly their real priority."

This is just the latest attempt by nativist forces to appear as something they are not. For example, the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) has been behind the creation of three other front groups that supposedly represented African Americans (Choose Black America), Latino Americans (You Don't Speak for Me!) and labor (Coalition for the Future American Worker). In fact, FAIR had its own white spokesman double as a press representative for the first two organizations and actually set up Choose Black America on its own. 

Greenwash takes a close look at the players behind this new effort and reveals the professional and financial ties to members of Congress and organizations with abysmal environmental records. 

The report also notes that the central argument of the greenwashing campaign – the belief that immigration leads to environmental degradation – has been largely rejected by the mainstream environmental movement. Greenwash also includes a timeline of "greenwashing" efforts by anti-immigration groups beginning in 1968..." 

More.

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

People are so dispicable.
That they are. Back when I was knee-deep in radical lefty activism, I can remember at least one group wondering how they could get people of color involved. At least in one case, it was more because they wanted the group to look good ("Look how righteous we are, we represent everyone!") than having anything to do with the interests of brown people.
I can barely read that font size, so I'm reposting it:

"Seeking to deflect charges of racism, anti-immigration activists have launched a cynical campaign to recruit environmentalists to their cause by blaming immigrants for urban sprawl, overconsumption and a host of other environmental problems, according to a report issued today by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

The report – Greenwash: Nativists, Environmentalism & the Hypocrisy of Hate – describes how right-wing nativists are targeting the mainstream environmental movement with advertisements, websites and even a newly formed "progressive" organization that purports to represent liberals who believe immigration must be radically curtailed to preserve the environment.

"The key players behind this effort are nothing less than wolves in sheep's clothing," said Mark Potok, director of the SPLC's Intelligence Project. "Environmentalists should not fall for this canard. These are hard-line nativists, some of whom have ties to white nationalists, and their primary interest is to radically restrict Latino immigration. Preservation of the environment is hardly their real priority."

This is just the latest attempt by nativist forces to appear as something they are not. For example, the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) has been behind the creation of three other front groups that supposedly represented African Americans (Choose Black America), Latino Americans (You Don't Speak for Me!) and labor (Coalition for the Future American Worker). In fact, FAIR had its own white spokesman double as a press representative for the first two organizations and actually set up Choose Black America on its own.

Greenwash takes a close look at the players behind this new effort and reveals the professional and financial ties to members of Congress and organizations with abysmal environmental records.

The report also notes that the central argument of the greenwashing campaign – the belief that immigration leads to environmental degradation – has been largely rejected by the mainstream environmental movement. Greenwash also includes a timeline of "greenwashing" efforts by anti-immigration groups beginning in 1968..."
As environmentalists are often also very left-wing politically, very idolizing of the native peoples and by extent, anyone non-white, I say to the Nativists; Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out for ya.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Christine's discussion What exactly is "sin" anyway??
10 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
12 minutes ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
15 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
26 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
31 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
36 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
50 minutes ago
Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service