Climate science attack machine took donations from Microsoft and GM

A libertarian thinktank devoted to discrediting climate change received funds from corporations such as Microsoft and General Motors that are publicly committed to social responsibility, leaked documents reveal.

Along with tobacco giants Altria and Reynolds America, and drug firms GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer and Eli Lilley, major corporations have given over $1.1m in the past two years to the institute, and are planning to give another $705,000 this year.

...Microsoft donated $59,908 to Heartland to run a telecommunications newsletter in 2011. It is expected, however, to donate only $10,000 this year, the fundraising document shows.

Diageo, the drinks company which owns Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker and Baileys, ...gave $10,000 over the last two years, according to the leaked papers, and was projected to give another $10,000 this year.

Tags: corporate hypocracy

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

Both stand to to loose economically if the people fight to protect our climate, normal they'd deny it. It's simply not in their best interest... money talks louder than rights.

I don't understand what drug companies think they'll gain by denying Climate Destabilization.

Pharmaceutical / seed / chemical companies are actively creating seed banks of natural strains and endemic strains in order to better sell them when climate change topples our agricultural system. They must deny it in order to ensure that people feel "safe" and that of course we'd never really rely on seed banks for basic survival. The more people are concerned about climate change, the closer attention people will pay to people creating stashes... For now, 40% of North Americans are not worried... so they're not paying attention to what these corporations are doing...

Here's another article: Leak Reveals How Big Business Funds Climate-Change Deniers

"The climate-change-denying think tank The Heartland Institute pays monthly stipends to vocal global warming skeptics, received $200,000 from the Charles G. Koch Foundation in 2011 and received a total of $3.4 million from corporations in 2010 and 2011, according to internal documents released last night.

DeSmogBlog released the documents Tuesday night to expose its rival... The blog received the documents from an anonymous "Heartland Insider." Here's the inside scoop and more on Heartland:

-Craig Idso, chairman of the Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change and other think tanks, receives $11,600 per month from Heartland. Idso's study center is funded in part by Exxon Mobile and he recently spoke on the benefits of increased atmospheric carbon ..., according to SourceWatch.org.

-Australian global warming skeptic Professor Bob Carter receives $1,667 per mon... in an Australian newspaper on Wednesday.

-Fred Singer of the climate-change-denying Science and Environmental Policy Project receives $5,000 a month from Heartland.

-Singer's group helped establish NIPCC[Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change], which Heartland sponsors to "undermine" the reports by the United Nation's climate change panel, according to Heartland documents. Two anonymous foundations supply the NIPCC funding.

-Heartland has a "key" anonymous donor who gave $1.6 million in 2010 and $979,000 in 2011.

-Heartland's income totaled $4.6 million in 2011...."

More Here

Indeed, diseases of all sorts are an economic boon these corporations and to our Westernised version of fiscal statements. As are catastrophes and war, they all make the wheels of economics pump money towards the elites.

Speaking of "the wheels of economics pumping money towards the elites", I'm reading David C. Korten's The Great Turning. He's opening my eyes to the way finance capitalism is structured to pump real wealth towards the global 1%. This horrifying new comprehension of contemporary economics and politics comes with a grim realization that ordinary people worldwide will only continue to get poorer and become more enslaved to the most wealthy and powerful, as the planet is stripped dry, unless our entire financial and economic system is deeply restructured. I recommend The Great Turning.

I just thought I'd list some of these names here... What has frustrated me beyond belief on some atheist boards is when atheists are gullible towards megacorporations such as BigPharma's envolvement with Bill Gates... right-wing-atheists-skeptics, which drink a lot of koolaid and tend to be deniers of science. Corporations who's interests do NOT lie with the health and happiness of humans, but only the wealth of CEOs. Some people need to wake up and smell the not so fresh air...

Altria Client Services Inc.: $90,000

Amgen, USA: $25,000

Anheuser-Busch Companies Inc.: $5,000

AT&T: $100,000

BB&T: $16,105

Comcast Corporation: $35,000

General Motors Foundation: $30,000

GlaxoSmithKline: $50,000

Microsoft Corporation: $59,908

Nucor Corporation: $502,000

PepsiCo, Inc.: $5,000

Pfizer: $130,000

Reynolds American Inc.: $110,000

Time Warner Cable: $20,000

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service