Bugs Have Key Role in Farming Approach to Storing CO2 Emissions

This sounds promising.

Researchers have found that when the Iroko tree is grown in dry, acidic soil and treated with a combination of natural fungus and bacteria, not only does the tree flourish, it also produces the mineral limestone in the soil around its roots.

The Iroko tree makes a mineral by combining calcium from Earth with CO2from the atmosphere. The bacteria then create the conditions under which this mineral turns into limestone. The discovery offers a novel way to lock carbon into the soil, keeping it out of the atmosphere.

In addition to storing carbon in the trees' leaves and in the form of limestone, the mineral in the soil makes it more suitable for agriculture.

Views: 248

Replies to This Discussion

Yep just like the Cane Toad sounded promising to Australians way back when... Messing with nature always messes things up more.

No sequestering dreams will ever pan out, we need to cut CO2 emissions NOT by a few percentage points, we need to cut them completely, or near completely.

That sounds very cool!  Thanks or posting.  I wonder how the carbon sequestration compares to just using fast growing trees which turn the CO2 into cellulose.

I am going to be planting more trees this fall - but not this one.  I wonder which ones sequester carbon the fastest?  Probably the ones that grow the fastest in any particular climate?

Another example of misusing 'nature' to fix 'nature' is the use of eucalyptus trees to dry out wetlands in order to farm in build human residences. Eucalyptus trees suck up immense amounts of water and somewhere along the way... someone said: "This sounds promising".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service