Having your DNA tested for deep ancestry consists of having it analyzed for the purpose of acquiring information about the travels of your ancestors beginning 70,000 years ago with their origins in Africa and progressing through time to relatively recent locations. A brief explanation of how it works follows:

A male has a type of DNA that will be called P (for paternal) that is passed substantially unchanged from father to son and a type that will be called M (for maternal) that is passed substantially unchanged from mother to son. To learn about his deep ancestry (the journeys of his ancestors) his P - DNA is tested to acquire information about his paternal line and his M - DNA is tested to acquire information about his maternal line.

A female however, doesn’t receive P – DNA because it goes only from father to son. She receives but the M type from her mother. Nonetheless, testing the P - DNA of her father, brother, paternal uncle or paternal male cousin for example would provide her with deep ancestry information about her paternal line. Of course, deep ancestry information about her maternal line would be acquired by testing her M – DNA.

In order to learn about my deep ancestry I decided to have both my P and M types of DNA tested by utilizing the services of the Genographic Project of the National Geographic Society. It affords the testing on a known or anonymous basis and so far more than 600,000 people have undergone it.

I had only a few surprises from my results and none were major. I knew my father's side to be Ukrainian (Lemko) and my mother's to be Italian. The paternal results revealed a probable and fairly direct route to Ukraine from the Balkans while the maternal a probable, although indirect, route to Italy going down into it after having gone up to near the Baltic Sea. My father's side seems to have weathered the last glacial period in the Balkans while my mother's seems to have weathered it by moving south into Italy. My father’s side entered Europe in the Balkans directly from Southwest Asia after having gone west through Turkey. My mother’s entered it after having gone north between the Black and Caspian seas and proceeding northwest to near the Baltic Sea.

My paternal haplogroup is I-L621with previous markers from earliest to latest of M42, M168, M89, M170, P37.2 and M423.

My maternal haplogroup is H5b with previous markers from earliest to latest of L3, N, R, RO, HV, H and H5.

My DNA is 49% Mediterranean, 33% Northern European and 17% Southwest Asian. This is consistent with my being half Italian.

I am 2.9% Neanderthal and approximately 3% Denisovan.

Participating in the Genographic Project of the National Geographic Society involves allowing NG to use the results of your deep ancestry and modern mix DNA testing and family history information to attempt to more thoroughly associate genetic markers with locations. This is in order that it might better establish the historical story of settlements and migrations of ancient as well as more recent peoples. However, participation is voluntary. That is, NG will perform the deep ancestry and modern mix testing on an anonymous basis for interested persons (without requiring their results nor family history information to be known). On a known or anonymous basis NG will also test  the amount of archaic DNA that you have (i.e., the amount of Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA that you have). 

To participate in the Genographic Project or just have your DNA tested by NG on an anonymous basis click on the link below:

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate....

Tags: Ancestry, DNA, Genetics, Jubinsky

Views: 282

Replies to This Discussion

As I remember they took issue with the tests being unregulated. They claimed the lack of regulation took too much credibility from the tests. They were concerned there would be overreactions to positive results and undue security founded in negative ones that couldn't be established as reputable. As you said, the tests were allowed on an out of state basis. I have never been aware of any adverse publicity about 23andMe.

I'm still amazed at how small this conversation is, it should be much bigger!
I've been delaying my testing, because I'm waiting for native ancestries to achieve better resolutions. Meanwhile, the NatGeo project has changed from 100$ for Phase I, to 200$ for Phase II, but since females don't get Y chromosome data, the extra cost becomes a loss for us.

Have any of you looked into a good comparison tool for which test is most reliable and accurate? I've looked around the internet, and I see a lot of selling points, but not a lot of critical analysis/reporting.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Phase II provides a lot more information than Phase I and provides it on both the male and female sides whereas, if I'm not mistaken, Phase I provided information on only one side at a time. Therefore, there is no extra cost for Phase II. A female would have to have her father, brother, paternal uncle, paternal male cousin, etc. supply DNA to get the story of her male lineage. NG is as credible as any you will find and it detects ancestry that is as low as 1%. It considers a wide variety of DNA types in it analyses including Native and African American. If you look at my results you will see how much information it provides. Notice that it even provides how much of one's DNA is Denisovan.

Done!
I've compared all the comparisons and justifications for each of the four different autosomal testing, and have chosen to stick with Nat Geo's. eeek, there was no way I was giving my DNA to Google!!! I've paid my 200$ (220 with shipping to Canada) and should have my kit in a couple of weeks. Weeeee!

Good for you!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service