Long time no see, folks!

Well, I just finished up my 4th week of a new regimen I'm on. It's a nutritarian diet for diabetics looking to improve their health and gain control of the disease through a healthy diet. It's pretty darn strict, but it's been working really well for me, so I'm sticking to it.

So far, my glucose numbers have gone from the mid-to-upper 200s to the high 90s during this time. I still have a spike of 120 or so, but nothing bad. It's also been good for my blood pressure. :)

I've lost weight, too. I'll weigh in tomorrow at my doctor's to see, for sure... but I'm very happy with the results.

I do wonder if the author, Dr. Fuhrman, claims a bit much, but he also has a good record of helping people and cites several studies in the book. I'm trying to find some good refuting articles, just to balance things out, but the few threads I've found online are weak in offering good evidence to the contrary.

So, I'd love it if y'all could help me out and check the ETL/Nutritarian diet out. If you have some rebuttals against it, please post that, too. The one thing that concerns me with it is the likelihood of low-protein affecting my muscles. (I'd like to weight train soon, and I'm unsure about getting enough protein through veggie sources.)

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

I'm interested - I will check out that diet out on google and read up on it.

An update: I'm in the middle of my sixth week on the diet... My bloodwork's been done. My HbA1c level has dropped from 9.1 to 7.3! It's not optimum, but that's a huge drop in one month. (Red blood cells have a life of 120 days, so that number typically does not change so much in so short a time!)

My cholesterol is within parameters, save for the HDL, which is too low. I need to bring it up a bit. The ratio of LDL to HDL is just fine, though: 2.4 I think? (Mayo clinic said below 5.1 is optimum.)

I've lost about 10 lbs since starting the diet, and 25 since starting this group. :) Gotta keep on keepin' on, though.

I have some friends on FB that are suggesting me to look into the ketogenic diet, but I'm of course, skeptical. I said I'd read the book they recommended, so I will, but it is at odds with a nutritarian diet (almost opposite!) so I'm really hesitant to trust the data... Focusing on micronutrients and more nutritious food just makes more sense to me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service