Hi crafty peoples!  This is a knitting related question.  I make socks.  I rock socks.  Ribbing, heel gussets, turning the heel... I'm all over that.  But when it comes to grafting the toes shut, it's a big old mess.  I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, because I can barely figure out what I'm doing at all.  I try to follow along with what tutorials I've seen but I still end up with these big loops on the end.

Anyone else run into this?

Tags: knitting

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Laura - I'm a big time sock knitter. I hate the Kitchener stitch. Hate. It. It is one reason why I knit all my socks toe-up. However, there are times when the dreaded KS can't be avoided. So I searched for the best sources and came up with Techknitter's tutorial. I love Techknitter, but even better is the video at KnittingHelp.com. Scroll about maybe 2/3 of the way down the page and you'll find it. I really hope that helps. I truly can relate to your problem, I just don't get it, but if I watch the video and follow along, pausing when necessary then playing again, I can do it. By the way, if you're not already a member, come over and join the needlework community at Ravelry. If you do, check out the forums for lots of wonderful advice. And shoot me a friend request, I'm circularlogic there. Good luck and happy knitting! ~Donna
i have been scared to try socks. I made a pair of crocheted one off a really stupid pattern and they were the dumbest socks i ever seen. so i have been afraid to knit them. did you try You Tube? when i need help I go there. Linda
Thank you both for the advice!

Crocheted socks just don't work. The whole reason I taught myself to knit, in fact, was to make socks.

I've never actually tried making socks toe-up. Perhaps I shall have to.
I love the toe-up method because I can try them on as I go. And you can knit as far as you want on the cuff or until you run out of yarn. :) I do them 2 at a time on a magic loop so when you're done you have a pair ready to wear right away (no second sock syndrome), and they both come out the same size every time. If my gauge changes for whatever reason, it changes the same on both socks. I had never heard of doing them that way until I visited my local yarn shop and started talking to the clerk who happened to be working there that day. I've been hooked ever since. FWIW, I use the fixed circular needles from knitpicks.com. They are inexpensive and have the most flexible cables.
OK, I'm definitely going to have to try this!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
48 minutes ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
51 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
59 minutes ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service