And so do I.

slaveryfootprint.org

The website has a lot of traffic and is switching to a new server, but if you can get on it, it's pretty shocking.  If slavery is antihuman, racist, and evil - why are people not aware, and why are more not fighting it?

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

Dammit, dammit, dammit SB. I don't need to see this shit!

Well, that being said, the way they did the text on the site was kind of neat. Incredbily simply, but quite unique. I couldn't get on though, but I'll save this and check back.

While that site is upgrading, here is some more, really shocking, info.

wikipedia.  Contemporary Slavery  (edited for brevity, see link for rest of story)

The number of slaves today remains as high as 12 million[1] to 27 million,[2][3][4]...  Most are debt slaves, largely in South Asia, who are under debt bondageincurred by lenders, sometimes even for generations.[6] Human trafficking is primarily for prostituting women and children intosex industries.[7] It is the fastest growing criminal industry and is predicted to eventually outgrow drug trafficking.[7][8]

Total annual revenues of traffickers were estimated in 2004 to range from US $5 billion to US $9 billion.[9] ...  an "estimated 600,000 to 820,000 men, women, and children [are] trafficked across international borders each year, approximately 70 percent are women and girls and up to 50 percent are minors. ...  "the alarming enslavement of people for purposes of labor exploitation, often in their own countries, is a form of human trafficking that can be hard to track from afar."

enslavement of the homeless in the UK.  the guardian

"We have been coming across some extremely disturbing reports from homeless people who have been 'enslaved' by criminal gangs across the UK," said Mike Nicholas, a spokesman for the charity. "Increasing numbers of rough sleepers, many from central and eastern Europe, have told us how they have been held against their will, beaten and forced to work without wages before escaping and ending up on the streets of London."

voice of america.  Web Site Shows Extent of Forced Labor Used to Make Everyday Products.  "The U.S. State Department estimates there are millions of people working in slavery around the world today. Many of the 27 million people in slavery are believed to be involved in the supply chain that goes into creating everyday products used by unsuspecting consumers."  this links to the slavery footprint website.

CNN video

It is hard.  All of our actions are connected.  I think it's not so much one specific thing that we do, but the sum of our actions.

I wold like that.  I may not agree with the particulars of an algothythm, but it would still guide my decisions.

THe main thing is awareness, in a number of ways.  I be 95% of the people who you talk to have no concept that there is modern slavery.  Or they think it's "not as bad" as the slavery that the US practiced 150 years ago.  Or that it doesnt matter.  As a matter of degree, it probably isn't "as bad" as transporting shiploads of people across the atlantic, throwing a number of them overboard, openly selling them, 'breeding' them, etc, for several hundred years, but it's still reprehensible and horribly inhumane, and just plain immoral.

Those people are adults?
Turns out I have 20 slaves working for me.  I did not include clothes that I buy at yard sales and 2nd hand store, since I figure they would have been thrown away otherwise, so are 'free' as far as manufacture goes.  Also I dress pretty scruffy most of the time, except at work where I have 3 shirts and 3 pairs of trowsers.  Being vegetarian may have cut back a few slaves, I don't know. On the other hand, tech devices increased the number a lot.
I think this is mostly an awareness-raising but I was also frustrated by several aspects.  Adding rooms to the house didnt work very well.  Also, I wondered how having more than one bathroom impacted slavery.  It was interesting going through the food items, and what I learned most is my diet is fairly restricted and boring - I just don't eat that much variety.  But I was curious to learn how various foods are grown by enslaved peoples....  I suspect wheat not at all, and wheat is in every meal I eat.  The tech devices I understand.  A couple items didnt seem to work for me - I don't even recall the pay for sex part, although in my world Im wouldn't even know how to do that and dont want to know.  Maybe I should do it again, my estimate might be low.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service