SB told me about this book, but I don't have time to read another book, so I got the DVD. This is a must see.  - Dallas

Slavery by Another Name is a 90-minute documentary that challenges one of Americans’ most cherished assumptions: the belief that slavery in this country ended with the Emancipation Proclamation. The film tells how even as chattel slavery came to an end in the South in 1865, thousands of African Americans were pulled back into forced labor with shocking force and brutality. It was a system in which men, often guilty of no crime at all, were arrested, compelled to work without pay, repeatedly bought and sold, and coerced to do the bidding of masters. Tolerated by both the North and South, forced labor lasted well into the 20th century.

For most Americans this is entirely new history. Slavery by Another Name gives voice to the largely forgotten victims and perpetrators of forced labor and features their descendants living today.

Watch the full documentary online at PBS. Learn more on the official site. Below is a promo video.

Tags: African-Americans, Emancipation Proclamation, US, slavery, the south

Views: 333

Replies to This Discussion

Dallas thanks for posting.  I saw the PBS series and have read the book.  I did not grow up in the south, and needed to learn this history.  The north and west have their share of racism, but this is mind boggling in its intensity.  I have no respect for the white southern "tradition".  None whatsoever.  I feel like it's a region full of hate lies and clannishness.  The modern era is more diverse, but I fear there is still desire to go back in some places.  It's a good case against "states rights".

It's mind-boggling in its inhumanity. To rob other people of their freedom--of their very lives--it's reprehensible. I cannot imagine what it must do to one's psyche, one's sense of self, to live in a world where people can stop you on a whim and enslave you in a labor camp, and you are essentially powerless to do anything about it. Your options are to live as a slave or to die. What kind of life is that? Who wants to get ahead by doing that to other human beings? Those men were reprehensible beyond all comparison. I do wish there was a hell so that those monsters could suffer forever.

I agree with you.  Also - this history is absolutely not taught as part of US history or part of social studies in high school.  It should be mandatory.  I bet 90% of Americans don't know this history.  Pathetic

IMO, the history I learned in school was very candy-coated. I knew of indentured servitude and that many blacks faced harsh discrimination for decades, but this--human trafficking--was not discussed, as i recall.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service