Hello Friends,

I'm making this post in hopes of directing you to my new post at "Black Skeptics" blog.  The title of the post is "What If..." and I hope you'll take a moment or two to read it.  Feel free to leave a comment, because I'd love to hear your thoughts.  You can find the link below.  Thanks!

Shawn

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see the link on the original post, so I will paste again below. Thanks.

http://blackskeptics.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-if.html
Thanks a lot Bill. I appreciate you taking the time to read it.
Well written as Bill said. The article captured a lot of what I feel now and how I first felt when I deconverted.
Thanks for taking the time to read the article Big A. A lot of atheists of every stripe share these feelings with us when they deconvert. Enjoy breathing the fresh air.
I'm a bit behind on my A/N reading, but ... damn! Good article!

When people are oppressed there is a hunger for hope that can never fully be satisfied so long as the unjust conditions persist. The desire for justice is transferred to hope for happiness in a time yet to come.

Sums up one of the most common needs for religion very well. And why, even though one of the 'good' intents of religion is to comfort the needy, it is also one of the most predatory elements.

I've also always thought of such fervent Christianity in the black community as a sort of stockholm syndrome. "Rebelling" by turning instead to Islam is far less a journey away from Christianity and more like scooting over to the other side of the pew.

And don't even get me started on fervently Christian Native Americans.

Anyway, good writing. Am bookmarking the site!
Thanks a lot Jo. I agree with you- in the hands of a savvy person, religion is certainly predatory.
Catching up. Thanks Shawn for posting, it's great to have the input here!

You will have realized that love, courage, empathy and kindness are all human inventions-not the altruistic inventions of a cosmic overlord.

Amen!

Biped,

Thanks for reading.  I am sorry for the long delay in responding to you, but I have been gone from AN for quite a while.

Shawn,
I hope you'll find more here that is worth your while, and comment. Of course, we all have lives outside Atheist Nexus. Thanks for posting.
..nice article, I've been an atheist for a long time...never was really sold on the heaven and hell thing...but then I'm from new york...than the bombing in birmingham and all the mendacity/hypocrisy....finally I visited egypt myself in the late 70's with a group led by then n.y.prof. dr. ben...the bible really is a book of nonsense...
Thanks for reading Ron.
Powerful!!!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service