A hopeful article. I certainly would like for it to be true. But it sounds a bit more like the author's personal experience (good for her!) than an analysis of what is happening in the community as a whole.

Or am I being pessimistic? Is there indeed evidence that religiosity is decreasing in the Black community?

Views: 274

Replies to This Discussion

You are being realistic. Church in our community is here to stay unless education level rises, and even then I believe it will take a few generations to move from the center of so much of our identity. I have so many college educated friends who just attend church out of family obligation, they don't really believe in a god, but they like seeing all their friends and family on Sunday.
Calvin, this both gives and takes away hope. Gives, because it shows growing secularism related to higher education.

Takes away, because I suspect that growing education levels are tied to a good economy, and there is some thought that the middle class will continue to shrink in our "reformed" economic state of what might be permanent recession. There have been reports that this recession affects Black Americans more than other groups.

Democritization of the internet, and therefore democratization of information, might also be a factor. For many people, the internet is like a public library on steroids - more information, more connection, more everything, at their fingertips. Internet based social networking may help as well. When people know they are not alone, maybe they are more likely to realize that their non-beleif is valid and even good. Wishful thinking on my part, maybe.
Oneman, thanks for posting this. Interesting article.

""Church is difficult because young people today want to engage actively; they just want to experience God." Young adults don't want to worry about judgment or limitations when it comes to faith" a subjective statement, but seems to relate to movement from denominational and community - based religiosity and toward deism. Which, in the evolution of rationality, probably is a good thing.

I did a google search on the topic and didn't come up with anything recent/relevant that would give more objective information. Would love to learn more.
This is great news. It's so easy to get caught up in my own little world sometimes. I live in Georgia. Almost everyone I know regardless of race, education, age, or gender tends to be involved in some form of organized religion. I don't know one black person outside my family that's atheist/agnostic. So this is good fantastic news and it serves as a reminder that the "real world" is changing for the better. Hallelujah!!!!
Both of you are right. I wish you were wrong though one man.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service