Yet another cautionary tale.

Preceding Amazon Kindle's now publicised capacity to arbitrarily delete content without notice or permission is this other blog post about the joys of digitally restricted (read: deliberately broken) content -

Kindle’s DRM Rears Its Ugly Head… And It IS Ugly

Essentially, with Kindles you are only allowed an unspecified number of downloads to an unspecified number of devices; you are not entitled to know how many; new devices may void your download rights altogether, and if your downloads start failing thats too bad you need to buy your content all over again because you never really owned it anyway. And if you complain, you're probably a liar and a thief.

Significant inroads have been made against rights managed content, but the war is nowhere near over. So, unless you actually have no problem paying money for vapour that could vanish in the blink of an eye, avoid feeding the DRM beast and stick to hard copies, or soft ones that have no restrictions and allow you to back up. Take note you I-retards.

DefectiveByDesign.org

Tags: abuse, amazon, consumer, drm, kindle, orwell, rights

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

Taking a contrarian view here, I love my Kindle. I think 99% of what I read is disposable. Magazines, newspapers, and a lot of book content never needs to be made permanent, any more than conversation, television, radio needs to be permanent.

With my Kindle, I can read content without the need for cutting down trees, transportation of materials, going to a store to but my favorite blogs, magazines, and sometimes, books. When I travel, I don't have to panic about having something to read - I have a small library on my Kindle. The power use must be must lower than a laptop, as well - it doesn't light up, and doesn't warm up. It's lightweight and can be carried anywhere. The function is much more limited than a PC, but it's good for what I need it for.

If I want something permanent, I can buy it. But most is throw-away, and it seems less wasteful to throw away something that doesn't exist in hard copy form, anyway.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service