Are there chess lovers out there who are willing to share from a general perspective a set of game circumstances and the associated appropriate basic strategy that should be followed from an offensive and/or defensive position?  If so please contribute.  Of particular interest to me is the basic strategy to be followed assuming that each player has developed equally well in the center and castled.  

Tags: Jubinsky, Strategies

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

A long time ago, when I was a chess player, I preferred to play in all-master tournaments. I especially liked to play against aggressive, attackin, sacrificial players. When playing other masters, I played solidly and classically, and I was especially fond of strong Pawn centers. I was willing to initiate complications, but among masters, I could often wait for my opponent to do so. Sometimes the game would peter out in simplification without much of a fight, but that was not a problem because my opponent was a strong player whom I respected. As White I played the most classical lines of Queen's Pawn openings, and as Black I defended Closed Ruys and Nimzoindians. In large part my repertoire was based on a study of Spassky.

But I also played in open tournaments, and often faced weaker players who were eager to trade off pieces to simplify the position and play for a draw. So I could not defend double King's Pawn as Black, but played less well-known Sicilians, and against Queen's Pawn I played the Modern Benoni. These are openings that do not allow the opponent to reach an easy draw or a position with no fight in it.

I'm not sure if I answered your question or not.
Irrespective of particular offenses or defenses is there a basic strategy to follow after each player has developed equally well in the center and castled?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service