Hey guys. I've been following your 'cast for a few episodes, but your discussion of the death and resurrection got me curious so I wen to the book of mark and read the lines. Mark (IMO) appears to say that the day of Jesus' crucification and death was Thursday because directly following his death in Mk 15:42 "And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath", which would be 2 full days and the night of Sunday when he was "discovered missing" Sunday morning. Perhaps another translation makes this clearer?

Views: 4

Replies to This Discussion

We kind of cut that conversation short because it's a long one, we're probably going to be doing a full show on the resurrection sometime, (maybe next year around Easter, as that would be appropriate), although if we get desperate for ideas it could be sooner. I'm going to leave the answering of your query for Lamar as he may be able to give some more insight.

The main issue is that while Passover is still marked as a day on the old Hebrew calendar, Easter has been assigned a date on the Gregorian calendar, so modern relation of Easter to Passover is a tough call. I'd have ot go back and dig out the Hebrew calendar for the supposed year of Jesus' death, find out when passover is then extrapolate back with the Gregorian calendar (including all adjustments to it made in the last 2000 years....), frankly in my view it's a non-issue as a valid criticism of scripture, we were just picking nits. It'll get stranger next year when passover falls on a Monday night....
Mark (IMO) appears to say that the day of Jesus' crucification and death was Thursday because directly following his death in Mk 15:42 "And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath", which would be 2 full days and the night of Sunday when he was "discovered missing" Sunday morning. Perhaps another translation makes this clearer?

That's an interesting view Scott, but the day of preparation is literally the day before the sabbath. On Friday (obviously before sunset) food is prepared for that evening and the following day because cooking and preparing food isn't allowed at all during the sabbath (Exodus 16:22-23). In fact, the reason that Joseph of Arimathea went to procure Jesus' body was because the sabbath was approaching (John 19:31-42).

When the author says, "the day before the sabbath," there's no need to think this wouldn't mean Friday. By our standards, a day begins and ends at midnight and therefore the Sabbath, as it's practiced, begins on Friday evening. But, in a culture where the day begins and ends at sunset, the sabbath begins exactly when Friday ends.

In any case, the Gospel of Mark has Jesus being crucified on Friday (the day of preparation) early in the day (Mark 15:33-34*). Then, before the evening approaches he's put in his tomb only to rise the morning after the sabbath (Mark 16:1-8). Now, on the show I mentioned that there was a contradiction, and that said contradiction could be found within Mark. If you take a look at Mark 8:31 you find a passage where Jesus claims that he will "rise again" after being dead for "three days."

Of course this contradiction is compounded throughout the other Gospels as well. There's the often quoted "Sign of Jonah" prophecy in Matthew 12:40. All of the gospels pretty much agree that Jesus was crucified on the eve of the Sabbath and raised the day after, so this is hardly a minor contradiction. In order for this contradiction to not exist, Jesus would have to have given a false prophecy.

* In Mark 15:33-34 the "sixth hour" is roughly noon and the "ninth hour" is roughly three o'clock in the afternoon.
So he died in about six hours then? I thought the whole point of crucifixion was to kill someone slowly over a period of days. I remember coming across a theory years ago that the vinegar-soaked sponge (Mark 15:36) was really a drug administered by his supporters to simulate death. Interesting idea.
I've heard that theory as well, 6 hours is pretty short by death via crucifixion, although there's the spear in the side thing as well...

Occam's Razor tells me he died and his whole coming back is just a fabrication to continue his "mission" (which I tend to lean toward the revolutionary-rabbi bent).
good synopsis - so basically in this story he was dead 36-48 hours. Kinda hard to get "three days" out of that, id'n it?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Richard C Brown commented on Joan Denoo's blog post According to the Bible, God drowns, kills, slaughters, genocides, stones, burns, mauls, rapes, crushes, ....
3 minutes ago
Gila Guerilla replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
14 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
15 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
18 minutes ago
Hunter Byrd joined Stephen Goldin's group
19 minutes ago
matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
20 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion In Liberia Christian Churches blame gays for Ebola in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
20 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
22 minutes ago
Meri Weathers shared John Jubinsky's discussion on Google +1
24 minutes ago
Meri Weathers liked John Jubinsky's discussion Nose Nerve Cells Repair Man's Severed Spinal Cord
25 minutes ago
Meri Weathers shared Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion on Google +1
28 minutes ago
Meri Weathers liked Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Ebola Evolution
28 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service