8/2/2009:

"Not my God!"

- We talk with Sarah Trachtenberg about being an atheist in America Season 1, Episode 34
(Download MP3) (Download OGG)

This week we have Sarah Trachtenberg with us to discuss the personal stories of atheists. She talks about the book she is writing entitled "Not My God - Personal Stories of Atheists in America," which is a compilation of the personal stories of various atheists of various backgrounds and their experiences being an atheist in the United States. We share a bit about our own personal journeys and discuss a variety of issues of interest to us.

Before that, we talk about a recent visit by Neil deGrasse Tyson to a local OMSI Science Pub event here in Portland where he opined about atheists.

And of course, the news, in which we discuss another reason to not eat at Denny's and the problem with people who kill their children through religious negligence. Don't forget, REMEMBER THE ALAMO! We gab about The Lord's "Prayers for Moisture" plan, the Chupacabra religious defense and our unbridled desire to own an authentic, lywood Jesus Riding A Dinosaur piece.

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

If he wants to come on our show and clarify his position, he's more than welcome to.
Y'know, that'd be very cool. Even a short five or ten minute interview would be interesting. Any chance for something like that?
Actually, they can get up to 25 years in prison.. They haven't been sentenced, yet. I also heard that they can go to California to visit a dying grandmother. They need to check in once a week but, I wonder if they wont just "disappear".

I just want to point out that we did have forced racial integration in the '60s. Whites in the south didn't want to abide by the law saying that blacks cannot be forced to be segregated.
Since you brought up Kent Hovind's Dinosaur Adventure Land on this show, I thought I'd mention that you can see the entrance through the magic of Street View.

It's kind of fun to start at the end of the street and go up to through what's obviously a residential area to the "amusement park" in Hovind's back yard.

Oh, and I think you said Hovind didn't realize that a church has to incoroporate as a 401(c)(3)(E)(I)(E)(I)(O) corporation in order to get to avoid paying taxes. Actually, if you listen to some of his old seminars, he specifically advises churches not to do this, because it's all a plot by the government to keep track of the Christians so that they can be rounded up and sent to gulags when the Illuminati finally come with their black helicopters piloted by chupacabras, or whatever.
Oh, and I think you said Hovind didn't realize that a church has to incoroporate as a 401(c)(3)(E)(I)(E)(I)(O) corporation in order to get to avoid paying taxes. Actually, if you listen to some of his old seminars, he specifically advises churches not to do this, because it's all a plot by the government to keep track of the Christians so that they can be rounded up and sent to gulags when the Illuminati finally come with their black helicopters piloted by chupacabras, or whatever.

Very true, and good catch. I totally forgot about his conspiracy theory nuttiness or we would have surely brought it up. I downloaded his entire set of creation lectures from the Dr. Dino website a few years ago and he let's some of his concerns about big brother and the new world order slip through quite a bit.
We'd do it more often if we were more interesting people. But, as it stands, we have to meter it out. If I spent an entire show talking about what I did last week, you'd probably hang yourself just to snatch your soul back from the rhythmic thrall of pure boredom incarnate.
Jerry Ann let me know the URL of the guy who makes that book with the postcards in it, for anyone who was intrigued:

http://postsecret.blogspot.com/
There are actually several books out. Sometimes people will also write their secrets on postcards and go in to book stores and stick them in random copies of the Post Secret books... so I recommend buying them from an actual book store and not online... if you choose to pick one up. It's a fantastic project.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Warren Jappe commented on Steve Shives's video
9 minutes ago
Warren Jappe posted a video

It's good to be anti-Islam

...but not anti-Muslim. Christians burned alive, beheaded, crucified and tortured to death http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/christians-are-being-bur...
24 minutes ago
Pat replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
27 minutes ago
Pat replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
35 minutes ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
2 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
2 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Chapters Eleven and Twelve - An Atheist Reads Simply Christian

The examination of N.T. Wright's Simply Christian continues with a look at Chapter Eleven: Worship, and Chapter Twelve: Prayer.
3 hours ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
3 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
3 hours ago
booklover replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service