I was wondering how many here who became an atheist in their teenage years or adulthood would list Carl as a major contributor to that shift.

It was while watching Cosmos that the camel's back finally broke for me. There had been a lot of thoughts floating around in my head for some time concerning religion and it's problems, but I wasn't really able to take that final leap until I sat down and listened to Carl so elegantly give voice to some of those things that had been stirring in my mind. It was definitely one of those "light switching on" moments. From there it was on to Bertrand Russell, Robert Ingersoll, back to Sagan's own books and then on to Dawkins, Harris, Dennet, Hitchens, Myers, ect.

So, anyone else here that can name Carl as the number one or first outside influence responsible for switching on the light? How did it happen? What work influenced you most?

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

Carl faced his death with unflagging courage & never sought refuge in illusions. The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don’t ever expect to be reunited with Carl. But, the great thing is that when we were together, for nearly twenty years, we lived with a vivid appreciation of how brief & precious life is.

Written by his third wife Anne Druyan

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service