A friend shared with me a brief but interesting article on the link between poverty and religiosity. The writer plotted various countries religiosity versus their G.D.P. per capita. It inspired me to do a bit of analysis as to where we (the English-speaking Caribbean) are. Using GDP figures aggregated from the CIA World Factbook and the Caribbean Development Bank, I estimated the average GDP to be about US$16,000 per capita (this included higher income countries such as the Cayman Islands). Taking this figure and using the religiosity percentage suggested by the Gallop survey I have plotted the results below on to the original author’s graph. Countries with a lower GDP, such as Belize, Guyana and Jamaica, are likelier to have a higher religiosity, perhaps 90%.

USA is one of the few developed countries to buck the trend, perhaps due to the agregation of the poorer states with the richer ones. Ex-(and existing) Communist countries also seem to buck the trend, maybe due to the secular nature of their former regimes.   The Gallop survey concludes that the poor do derive some emotional benefit from their religion that helps them cope with difficult circumstances. Evidence that it is indeed the “opium of the poor”? You'll find the links to the original article and Gallop survey here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/04/opinion/04blow.html?_r=1&emc=...

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with this and that it is evidence of religion being the opium of the poor as you put it. I see it around me. The poor and uneducated are the ones having more children even if they can't afford it because there is the saying 'god will provide'. And naturally, these children grow up with the same sort of mentality. It bothers me.

I was watching a documentary a few months ago on the increase in Christianity in China especially in rural China. These people survive on the bare minimum but they have to go to the church on Sundays where the charismatic pastor encourages them to give their last dime, because in giving it there will be a reward. I'll see if I can find it again and post it here.
So typical of poor people to give into this god thing...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
47 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
48 minutes ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
2 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service