Thank goodness for the advances being made by medical scientists working in cancer research

Amazing scans show how cancer patient's 70 lethal tumours disappeared in just 12 weeks thanks to pioneering drug 

• Ian Brooks, 47, was battling a rare form of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
  • Had been given just weeks to live after all other treatment options failed
  • Was first person outside out U.S. to try the the drug Brentiximab Vedotin
  • Drug works by destroying potentially deadly cancer cells from the inside
  • Doctor: 'This is probably the most impressive set of scans I’ve ever seen'
  • Mr Brooks is now clear of the tumours and in remission 

By   JAYA NARAIN          

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2567455/Cancer-patients-l... 

Tags: cancer research

Views: 195

Replies to This Discussion

You will do fine with all these changes! Being flexible and adaptable is the key word for people our age. 

With so many new developments through research, you have bought time!
There are ways to express sexuality other than intercourse, a gentle touch, a kind statement, soothing touch, a simple expression of emotion. 

Yes Joan, my French wife and I continue to be affectionate of course. Married 49 years when this July comes. 

Oh! that is lovely! What date in July and I will lift a glass of orange juice in celebration of your 49 years of marriage? Or I can celebrate the month of July in honor of you two.  

How sweet of you Joan. Married 15 July 1965 in Grenoble, France (at the Mairie (= Town Hall), church service avoided).

Three children (two born in Canada, one in England), and six grandchildren. 

Tell us of a date important to you, so that we can all raise a glass to our brave Joan. 

Thanks! That clears up a load of stories I hear about ´not necessary to treat prostrate cancer`.

How rude and unfeeling to even ask that Laura. I can't even believe you.

These are the photographs, before and after, of Ian Brooks, age 47. The remaining dark areas are his kidneys and bladder. 

Amazing! And I hope you can stay with us for a long time, Terry!

I love to read encouraging stories like this.  Thank you for posting it!

Terry,

Thank you for posting. This is a great story. The drug development is based on accumulative basic research over decades. Molecular biology, cell physiology, and more.

My oncologist expressed great confidence in drugs to come down the line.

The drug I take is Gleevec. It is a bit of an fortuitous accident that the mutation for my unusual cancer is the same as the mutation for a much more common cancer, so I benefit from this drug that might not otherwise have been developed.

For this man the Brentuximab is lifesaving. It's not wihtout its side effects - from wikipedia, "....the most common adverse reactions (≥20%), regardless of causality, were chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (a progressive, enduring and often irreversible tingling numbness, intense pain, and hypersensitivity to cold, beginning in the hands and feet and sometimes involving the arms and legs), neutropenia (an immune system impairment), fatigue, nausea, anemia, upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, pyrexia, rash, thrombocytopenia, cough and vomiting." But those adverse effects are a price one is willing to pay for a chance to do more of what we wanted to do in life.

I did not look up the price. I don't want to get depressed! Better to enjoy the knowledge that some folks will have great benefits from what are truly miracle drugs - where the miracle is science, not interventions from saints and gods.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Plinius commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
21 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
58 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web

Music by Viking Trance with video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Video London (UK) 2014. Viking Trance Radio www.vikingtrance.com Viking Trance buy link
1 hour ago
Man boob posted a status
"CHECK OUT THE SONGS I UPLOADED ON MY PROFILE WOOOOOOOOO"
1 hour ago
Man boob posted songs
1 hour ago
Rick posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Rick posted a status
"Pondering....pondering......pondering...."
1 hour ago
Jonathan Tweet replied to Freethinker31's discussion Are Atheists too judgmental??
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post I am offended
3 hours ago
Vangelis replied to Vangelis's discussion Declaration of Atheism
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Isn’t it time to save the the U.S.A. from the South?
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo posted a discussion
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service