After reading Shawn Brown's article I was inspired to share one of my blog posts with the group. Living in the upper region of the bible belt, I have the opportunity to engage a rich variety of Southern Christian Negroes in fruitless dialogues quite regularly. These are some of the questions that I ask my Christian sisters and brothers whenever approach me and ask the usual non-sensical questions; am I saved? Do I know Jesus? Have I accepted Jesus Christ to be my personal Lord and Savior? etc.

The blog was entitled: A Few Questions For Dr. Fred Price, Bishop T.D. Jakes, Creflo Dollar, Bishop B. Courtney McBath and Anyone Else Out There. It was posted January 1st, 2009 on the Community Blog Page of hamptonroads.com

Views: 36

Replies to This Discussion

For some reason I can't get this article to link? Any suggestions? Rob H.
I have no idea.
http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/few-questions-dr-fred-price-bishop-...

All I did was paste it. What did you try to do?
I'm not too sure what I tried George but thank you. My inability to post the link is probably due to my lack of computer knowledge...I'm an analogue guy in this digital world! Thanks again.

Rob H.
"Negroes"?
Are you offended by the term "Negroes" Sarsippious Jackson? I've often wondered; where are the meetings or conventions held that discuss, debate and decide what nomenclature we're going use to identify ourselves for the next generation? In serious conversations, I don't refer to myself as an African American. My utter lack knowledge and indifference to my West African roots makes me unworthy to call myself an African...it's an insult to our African ancestors. I am changing this aspect of my character but it's difficult. Being raised in this European Western environment can make a Black man or woman forget about looking back. Many of us should be ashamed of ourselves when we use that hyphenated term, the truth hurts Sarsippious. Didn't mean to offend you if I did.

Peace,
Rob H.

email: negrononbeliever@gmail.com
I just read it as being within the historic context of the topic. MLK routinely used the word "Negro".

On the other hand, I don't think it's all that appropriate for everyday use.
Dr. King used "that word" at a time when "that word" was still in use. Had not that trash from southern Illinois obtained a clear shot at him, he would have lived into the 1970s and acquired usage of terms like 'Black' and "African-American" as would have been the newly acquired custom.
“The history of the American Negro is the history of this strife — this longing to attain self-conscious manhood, to merge his double self into a better and truer self. In this merging he wishes neither of the older selves to be lost. He does not wish to Africanize America, for America has too much to teach the world and Africa. He would'nt bleach his Negro blood in a flood of white Americanism, for he knows that Negro blood has a message for the world. He simply wishes to make it possible for a man to be both a Negro and an American without being cursed and spit upon by his fellows, without having the doors of opportunity closed roughly in his face.” (The Souls of Black Folk. p. 5 by W.E.B. Du Bois)

I'm old enough to remember when all of these terms; colored, Negro, Black, Afro-American and African American (did I miss any?) were acceptable. I also remember at different times in my evolution, becoming highly enraged whenever I heard a person, of any race, not use the "proper" current term when referring to us. Then I started asking myself questions such as; If I consider myself to be a proud African American; who named the continent of Africa Africa? Was it the Europeans? Just something to think about Tea Cup.
I agree such questions are ridiculous, but why did you refer to them as 'Negroes'? I doubt if adding insult to injury is constructive way to start a productive discussion; yet due to the fact that many of these people are brainwashed, such an attempt might have, at that time, seemed next to improbable.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service