Greetings:
I am writing this as a sort of cathartic endeavor. I'd be interested in what you men and women here on the Nexus feel about this.
Recently I signed up for Facebook and enthusiasticly went about trying to re-connect with long-lost friends/schoolmates. I found a dear friend of mine, contacted her and she accepted my friendship. We made plans via phone to meet each other once I returned to visit my hometown of Brooklyn, NY earlier this month. I guess subsequently she took a look at my profile and noted that I am a self-proclaimed Atheist, Humanist,Naturalist. From here you all can surmise what happened next. She officially unfriended me. I am hurt, but not really surprised. I thought that my stance would not be an issue as I don't really knock anyone for what they choose to believe in.
Fellow A/Ners, have you experienced similar reactions or have you stayed in the proverbial closet out of not wanting to cause distruption in your life? I'm very interested in knowing. How do we become mainstream or close to mainstream, or simply not seen as people more terrible than Freddie Kruger, Ted Bundy, and Predator combined? WWJD if he existed? Lord Krishna hear my plea! LOL, yet bruised.

Tags: agnostics, atheism, freethinkers, mental, open-mindedness, oppression, spirituality

Views: 546

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks I love the Flying Spaghetti One and only true One.
Thanks Glenn, I heard about Kiva about a year ago but I was giving it time to see if it was up and up as they say. I will definitely start contributing ASAP.
"Begin each day by saying to yourself:I am going to encounter people who are ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, and hostile..." Marcus Aurelius

I'd like to add to that "bigots." I have a friend of over thirty years who is a firm believer and when in conversation one day I told him my views on religion and the irrational belief in god's he assailed me with the typical fundamentalist vitriol about heaven,hell,salvation,damnation,eternal life and the ungodliness of disbelief. I sat there stunned at the fierceness of his attack and was shocked that he was so closed minded, for he was a former policeman. I knew, right then,that being an atheist is to be considered an outsider the same as any "other" excluded minority. We are still friend's and he saw no value in his beliefs interfering in our long years of friendship, since I was not going to change anyway, regardless of his absurd religious beliefs.

Well, Khemisi, you're free now and have only the future.
Gerard, what surprises me the most about most formally educated, professional people is that they can be amongst the most vigilant in defending their belief systems.This is without any forethought,just running with what is most popular or what their parents/family believe in. It is great that you both have maintained a friendship. At least he seems to be tolerant and maybe even accepting. Good for you both!
Why would you be surprised to find that a former policeman was closed minded? Is it your experience that cops are always rational and open-minded? My experience has been the opposite.
*hug*

Hang in there. When you come out, it's gonna feel like you versus The Congregation, but you'll make it alright.
Thanks Shanika, everything goes through stages and passes through processes. When the time is right for you, you will be comfortable coming out. Or, you may choose to remain silent on this issue. Either way, it is rightfully your own choice. I only wish you love and support in what ever you decide.
Gary, people do change. You're right, I will have to get over it and move on.
I've never been in the closet so I've never had to come out or stay in. No problems here mate. I don't understand why it would be a problem for a black person other than dating if you prefer to date black people.

My colorful language and creative use of F-bombs would be a problem at a church gathering, but I haven't been to a church service since I was 5 years old. LOL
I haven't been to a church service since I was 5 years old.

Lucky you. Seriously.
I may have been 6, I can't remember. I finally asked my grandmother a few months ago why she didn't force me to go to church when I was a kid. Grandma told me she was ready to leave for church one Sunday morning, I said I didn't feel like going, she didn't feel like argueing with me because she didn't want to be late for church so grandma left me at home.

The moral of this story for children is "Just Say No to Church!"
Wow. Even when I didn't want to go to church, I had to go until I was 18. Even though my dad's Catholic my mum had me go to Baptist sermons with her...and all I wanted was a nice Sunday morning nap.

Which, of course, is impossible in a Baptist church.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
5 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
6 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
7 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
9 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
17 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
37 minutes ago
Luara posted a discussion
37 minutes ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service