I caught myself almost going into this rant on someone post and this really had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

So here's my question: Are we, as a nation, actually ridding ourselves of racism, or are we 'sweeping it under the rug' so to speak?

Now in my opinion I feel that we are right on track, if not ahead of schedule, in the process of ridding our nation of racism. This thought is based off of the fact that Africans have been enslaved by Europeans since the 1400s, meaning that Europeans had roughly 400 years of ingrained racism in their system before the slave trade ended in the United States and then another hundred years or so before African Americans took the stage to fight for serious equality. So after 500 years or so of European Americans considering themselves above the African Americans for us to have come as far as we have in the last 50 years to me is quite the achievement.

I'm definitely not trying to imply that we don't still have a ways to go, nor am I saying that we don't have to try anywhere near as hard to help our people in a time where all of the negative stereotypes of the African American is not only encouraged, but rewarded by the media.

So please share your thoughts with me.

Views: 601

Replies to This Discussion

well spoken, and i agree mostly with you

But I think the issue of ethnic conflicts( race) have to be analyzed in the context that they happen

as you pointed out, Modern and semi-modern examples of "racism" abound. A dead Kurd looks a lot like a dead Turk. A dead Hutu looks a lot like a dead Tutsi. Serb/Croat/Bosnian.  these examples are not the same as  americas problem  with blacks. the general disdain for blacks that is communicated to every immigrant group is based on white society's degradation of blacks, not because of long time war and competition (except genetic lol), or past injustices perpetuated by blacks, i.e. there is no material   (physical), or religious reason for black hatred, where as other ethnic conflicts almost always have some material / physical, religious  reason, no matter how antiquated , basis for the conflict

Very well spoken (typed) Thanks for your input.
thanks back. it's an interesting an very worthwhile topic.
Yeah it is. It's something that my mother and I talk about whenever we're bored and there's nothing else to discuss, or if she's going on one of her rather pessimistic views, although I do have to say that I have gotten her to agree that progress has been made and that she should look forward to it

There has been progress since Jim Crow.  But I disagree, that his mom's viewpoint is somewhat outdated.  I just think people hide it now, more than ever.

During Jim Crow, people were protected "so to speak" and could outright say things like "I don't hire Ni%$3s, Blacks or what have you.  The Klan was protected, back in the day.  Most Judges wouldn't convict Whites of killing Blacks, back then.

But now, it's not politically correct to state those types of opinions.  And there are laws against it.  It's hidden.  One of my White friends told me that he thought racism was a dying thing until Obama made it into office.  He was shocked at the things he heard his peers say within their own circle.  People he thought were above and beyond being racist/prejudice.  He, himself, told me don't be fooled.  He now realized that many White folks hide their racist feeling, but for some, Obama was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

Matter of fact, statistics show White Supremacist (sp?) groups on the rise!  Within the US.

I try to be optomistic but at the same time be realistic.

http://http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/11/white_power_usa_the_ri...

Since President Obama’s election, there’s been a surge in hate crimes, political murders and assassination threats in this country. Right-wing militias are on the rise in several states, and high rates of unemployment have further stoked anger against racial minorities and recent immigrants. Independent filmmakers Rick Rowley and Jacquie Soohen go inside the white nationalist movement to file an exclusive report. [includes rush transcript]...

I found this, didn't get to read it all, I'm at work on a break.  But, thought I would share.

Thanks for your input I'll check that out.
As far as being swept under the rug............I believe so. I live in the south and racism is very present among white people and black people. I see more racial slurs from blacks than I do whites, but whites tend to slide their comments in thinking that it wouldn't be noticed. I've met people who believe that racism isn't alive and I think it's because they are sincerely oblivious or ignorant. Most people are racist without knowing they are and I think that's where it hurts. I think we have made great progress with racism, but honestly I think we can do better. I believe people are more aware now than they were years ago, they just need someone to feed them the right information.
Here is my question to you. Is the right information something that should be taught en masse, or is it something that we should just teach to our children and hope that word of mouth and action will help it spread that way?
there's no such thing as race, it's a social construct.. ? well that's what she
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Meliss
said.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service