I'm attending beauty school this fall and during my registration I met a really cool girl (and quite a talented braider). I invited her over my house and we immediately clicked and began talking and joking like old friends. The conversation veered into the different clubs we'd been to in the area and our favorite drinks. I was having a great time. Ever since I came out as an atheist I haven't had much of a chance to be my usual extroverted self. It's hard to be an extrovert when your friends think you worship the devil :).

Then the bomb dropped. She went off in an anti-gay rant and quoted "god's word" to reinforce her ideas. I could understand if homosexuality made her uncomfortable but she really went the hell off. I steered the conversation back to other subjects and we discovered that we had a mutual (christian) friend. She says "Oh you know D? I'm the leader of her youth group at our church! You should come with me next Sunday". I said I'd be interested in going but then I told her under no uncertain terms that I am an atheist. The look on her face was a heinous mixture of disgust, anger, incredulity, and most of all fear. She left five minutes later because some supposed family obligation. Before she left she looks me dead in the eyes and says "Jesus loves you. You only need to lay your burdens on the cross to be forgiven. I'll pray for you" to which I replied "If I need forgiveness I ask the people I've wronged for it."

Is this a common experience for anyone else? I constantly feel duped by people. I mean for the first couple of hours we hung out she was talking about clubbing, sex, even strip clubs, then all of the sudden she gets so self-righteous. Would Jesus do that mess?

Views: 199

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that's terrible! I haven't had an experience like that before, but I know that it's fairly common. Maybe look around on meetup.com to see if there are some freethought or atheist/agnostic groups in your area. It's a good place to find like-minded people. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion, Justin! I really hope to find more like minded people in my area but I do live in the south which makes it a bit more difficult.
I would think that it's more common than not. That self-righteousness seems to be part of the hypocrisy that has become almost synonymous with religion. Apparently for this person, clubbing and screwing (I assume she's not married) are just fine as long as she keeps Jesus in her pocket. It's ridiculous.
It's interesting that you mentioned the topic of forgiveness. This kind of hits home for me on a personal level, and I tend to have a visceral reaction when religious people say they ask Jesus for forgiveness. Like you, I believe you should go to the person you've wronged or hurt to ask for forgiveness. As long as that person is still alive, then there's no excuse not to attempt to resolve things with that person directly. That doesn't mean the person will automatically forgive you, but it's better than taking the coward's way out and using Jesus as some kind of intermediary.
Samantha, sometimes I swear you read my mind. I totally feel the same way. Its a cop out. Instead of going to Jesus about their problems why don't they spend some time actually trying to fix them?
Doesn't surprise me. Did you aee the BET Awards? Sex, Sex, Sex, Lean, Weed, Cussin up a storm... BUT THEN.... JESUS! And all of a sudden everybody it'a in love with the lorrrrrd. Its the hypocrisy of Christianity... Especially Black christianity... Black folk love to call on "the LOOOORD" when it suits their agenda...
Amen!!
Lololololol! This is why I'm boycotting BET. That and I can't watch movies with those terrible voice overs they do.
When I was a child, before much identity had settled in- while under the watchful eyes of my parents I got sent to ye old Christian Doctrine school. Likely all of those points your Christian associate blurbed out were installed pre-self identity as well. Mines well laid waiting to blow up any association with the uninitiated.
I was listening to 2 orthodox clergy one day and it came down to them calling atheists " clueless for having been raised without a God."
So, if it's any indication - in banter there is an open admission God must be programmed in by the very folks responsible for doing it. But to call the godless clueless shows the clergy seek to interfere with volitional thinking amongst their young & within their (clergy's) sphere of influence. An irreverent states of affairs indeed. Its this kind of false information which corrupts the very data sets used in reasoning.
I'm thinking of a Sting song "Fortress around your heart" which describes part of a similar scenario.
Love that song! Sting is my all-time favorite artist.
I got the Fields of Gold album bumpin right now! Heavy clouds but no rain lol
Very true. It disturbs me how much deeply religion penetrates in to the psyche. It truly become some peoples entire identity and every confrontation with anything other than what they hold true they simply say that theb devil or god is testing their faith. I don't think I was ever actually religious thanks to my lovely agnostic father but I always went to church to please my christian turned muslim mother. Its kind of ironic. I was "saved" by my father from religion! *crickets* terrible joke. Going to bed now lol.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service