I've always been under the impression that our president is a skeptic who simply chose to  to not alienate his most fervent supporters. Re: Reverend Jeremiah Wright. But fuck, I wish he'd just come out and say it, "I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD BECAUSE I'M NOT AN IDIOT." I feel like after the initial backlash, it'd spread atheism & rationality throughout the community like wildfire (which would be incredible).  There's no harm in dreaming, I guess (like him winning a second term). 

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/03/obama-to-deliver-major-spe...

Tags: Barack, Obama, atheism

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my!

What a chilling speech, but so well executed. I never expected such words to come from him, have I been dreaming?

The blunt end of the stick is that he won't ... because, in this day and age, it would be political suicide.  This belief-centric, adolescent culture still needs to believe in a deity, and atheists are not only one of the smaller minorities around, but the least trusted of any of them.

I would love for Obama to come out.  I would PREFER that he get a second term ... and maybe come out THEN ... say after the 2014 elections, when NOBODY can do ANYTHING about it, short of impeachment ... which would look pretty damned STUPID.

Yes, political suicide, indeed!
BTW, I AM white as the driven snow, so I hope y'all don't mind ... but I personally want to see Obama succeed ... and maybe I'm more concerned about his efficacy in office than I am in the declaration of his putative atheism ... which (let's be real) he may be ... or he may NOT be.
I agree with Loren- his "coming out," if he is in fact a non-believer (I'm still on the fence about that), would be political suicide. Black churches would still be filled every Sunday as well.
Obama continues to be Rorschach: people see in him whatever they wish to delude themselves into believing. There is, however, an implicit question in all of this that must be asked: does a chameleon know he's a chameleon?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service