Greetings, Black Freethinkers:

There has been a flap over on The Friendly Atheist blog about the Black Atheists of Atlanta's anti-homosexual rant and a rebuttal by the Black Nonbelievers of Atlanta. Also, there has been a frequent caller of late on the Atheist Experience speaking from his own black and atheistic perspective, decrying gay marriage. The white and non-black minority atheists I know and converse with online seem to have almost unanimous support for gay rights. So I wondered, why is it that there are more outspoken black atheists on the subject of banning gay marriage than there are for other groups? I realize that this may still be a minority opinion among black freethinkers, but it just seems that the black freethinkers who are anti-gay marriage are more visible. Any suggestions?

Views: 152

Replies to This Discussion

This is really a disgrace to the black atheist community. I heard that idiot Clarence make a fool of himself on the Atheist Experience, repeatedly. It was obvious that the only reason he was upset was because he was being snubbed by other members of the community that don't think that way.  I haven't met any other black freethinkers, agnostics, and atheists that are this vehement about this ridiculous prejudice. This is just bigotry masquerading as rationalism. Naturally, I don't presume to speak for the rest of our community so anyone else feel free to dissent.
Points to the gulf between rationalism and rationalizing.

Ms. Sara Leon you are on point, and although I too cannot speak for the Black Atheist community, I do not think that the majority of Black Atheists support this character Clarence's position. It is bigotry. As a Black Atheist, I support the rights for all human beings to be treated fairly and justly and that certainly include gays and lesbians.

http://spiceislandatheist.blogspot.com/2011/05/grenadian-men-tries-...

The short answer is in certain ethnic groups same sex unions are a taboo behavior. It may be that due to a need to remain connected with countries that represent ancestry to the rich in hue diaspora which reside here in America; some of the more deadly xenophobic practices of countries like Uganda for instance have not factored into people's conscience of how wrong it is to kill people or ostracize & condemn & persecute gay lesbian and transgender peoples for their sexual orientation. Identity and bronze age myth programming for many generations adds to what might be seen as a huge blind spot within African American culture which is largely Christian with all of the attendant baggage of that. Being of similar ancestry, I think such clueless bigotry among my fellows should never be tolerated or perpetuated.
I hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense. Kind of like an ethnic puritanism, holding onto residual behavior that we would normally consider barbaric, just because it represents a link to the past.

Sometimes the past is better in the past.
some kneegrows will Never learn.

First time I've ever seen that particular spelling. ;)

Lmao @ "kneegrows"
I was watching "An Education" with Peter Sarsgaard, and it's set in 1962 in London. It was surreal to hear a high school girl say "How do you know that negro family." They also used the Yiddish "Schwartze" to refer to blacks.
I am unfamiliar with any black atheists holding antigay positions. Of course, I am now and I find it fascinating. I just don't get it. I've always been heterosexual and unbothered by gays. I tried to mark it up to being a traveling musician for so many years, but that seems flimsy. I can't say I don't know any homosexuals as several night clubs where I performed had gay bars and hangouts in the area. In college, I know I had at least three homosexual professors. Maybe I'm just not serious enough or missing the point, but I've never seen the threat. I think before anyone starts denying homosexual marriage rights that there is a list of others we might want to consider first, like--batterers or abusers. Known liars and the undependable should be barred from matrimony. A general list of those forbidden to marry should include politicians, animals, supreme court justices named Clarence and the Pillsbury Dough Boy.
You hit on something important, MbM. Your years as a traveling musician were a form of social education, and education is one of the primary factors in both acceptance of homosexuality and loss of faith.
I think the negative opinion on homosexuality in the African-American community comes down to the fact that many perceive us (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc.) as a threat to the cohesion of the community. When in all actuality most, if not all LBGT African-Americans (let alone people of color) just want to be loved, accepted, and welcomed just like everyone else, myself included. I would willingly be a vocal member of the larger African-American community if I were allowed a safe space within it!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service